TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 Tacoma has about a 3" or 3-1/2" lift. Every two years I have to yank the half axle and deal with the inner CV boot. The accordian folds chafe against each other and eventually you wind up with a hole. Well, it is time again. I would like to send my spare set of OEM axles to be rebuilt. And, I saw "high-lift" orange silicone boots somewhere on the web. Anyone have any luck with these? And, any suggestions on where I can send in the half-axle for a complete overhaul and boot install?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
My '04 Tacoma has about a 3" or 3-1/2" lift. Every two years I have to yank the half axle and deal with the inner CV boot. The accordian folds chafe against each other and eventually you wind up with a hole. Well, it is time again. I would like to send my spare set of OEM axles to be rebuilt. And, I saw "high-lift" orange silicone boots somewhere on the web. Anyone have any luck with these? And, any suggestions on where I can send in the half-axle for a complete overhaul and boot install?
replace the boots yourself, not that hard. 4x4wire should still have the writeup for this

then, lower your lift to 2" and the problem goes away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure the boot themselves are straightforward, but I don't see the point in re-installing the assembly without rebuilding/overhauling it with all new inner and outer joint parts. The "spare" set of OEM axles I want to get worked on were making noise when I removed them, so I am looking to get a rebuilt half axle with inner high angle boots.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have never heard of or seen anyone reference a shop that offers that service. I would imagine that cost wise it would be comparable to buying rebuilt's from Toyota. High angle boots are another item that, surprisingly, I've never read anything good about.

Last month I re-booted 2 of my spares, tried the boot slide mod this time, see how well that holds up.

If you find any info on a shop that rebuilds the factory cv''s with quality parts post up. Also interested to know if the high angle boots are any good but that might take awhile to determine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
These guys sell remanufactured CVs with the option of silicone inner boots for rock crawlers. Not sure how well the silicone boots hold up to high speeds though.
CVJ Axles - CV Axles & Steering Racks for all your needs
I got a quote of $300 for axles with the silicone boots a while back but decided to wait until my CVs crap out. My inner boots blew at 60K miles and I'm now at 200K miles with no clicking but it's on a 2" lift so there's not a lot of strain on the joints.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts