TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed an Aussie Locker up front over the summer and it seemed to work just fine.

Back in February on a UT-TTORA run I was climbing a rock wall, bouncing the front end a bit, and "bang" I broke something up front. A bystander said that only the driver side tire was spinning and the passenger side axle was static.

Upon backing down from the climb, the front differential was making horrible noises in and out of 4wd. I had a lot of problems unlocking the hubs (manual) on the drive home, and upon getting back to town, I found that the passenger side outer joint was completely grenaded.

I've finally gotten around to addressing this and sent Aussie an email today. Engineering replied back saying that in 99% of cases where an axle breaks it will release enough tension to damage the locker. They have never seen a locker take out a shaft.

They are saying that best case scenario the pins in the locker are broken.

This is pretty god damn discouraging after the labor of installing it and hardly ever getting the chance to use it, being that my truck was down for two months for an engine rebuild.

Has anyone else with a front locker had issues with damaging the locker?

I want a front locker, but I don't want these bullshit problems. I can deal with breaking the axles, but if the locker is going to break every time I'll just have the front welded. :mad:

My Powertrax No-Slip rear, which I also installed and bought used, has been absolutely flawless for two years and around forty thousand miles.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Installed an Aussie Locker up front over the summer and it seemed to work just fine.

Back in February on a UT-TTORA run I was climbing a rock wall, bouncing the front end a bit, and "bang" I broke something up front. A bystander said that only the driver side tire was spinning and the passenger side axle was static.

Upon backing down from the climb, the front differential was making horrible noises in and out of 4wd. I had a lot of problems unlocking the hubs (manual) on the drive home, and upon getting back to town, I found that the passenger side outer joint was completely grenaded.

I've finally gotten around to addressing this and sent Aussie an email today. Engineering replied back saying that in 99% of cases where an axle breaks it will release enough tension to damage the locker. They have never seen a locker take out a shaft.

They are saying that best case scenario the pins in the locker are broken.

This is pretty god damn discouraging after the labor of installing it and hardly ever getting the chance to use it, being that my truck was down for two months for an engine rebuild.

Has anyone else with a front locker had issues with damaging the locker?

I want a front locker, but I don't want these bullshit problems. I can deal with breaking the axles, but if the locker is going to break every time I'll just have the front welded. :mad:

My Powertrax No-Slip rear, which I also installed and bought used, has been absolutely flawless for two years and around forty thousand miles.

I'm the 2nd owner of my aussie locker , upon buying it from the original owner and his diff it was installed in I took the locker apart to put it into my diff when I noticed 2 pins were broke off and the other 2 were bent.. at the time he had grenaded a CV and flopped his truck..

called up aussie and they warrantied the locker week later I had the new locker and they asked me to take careful note of the installation measurements for future warranty issues . according to them if the specs are not within tolerance then the locker will grenade itself.. I'm not gonna name names but the original owner had his buddy install it and according to O.O the buddy just slapped it together :lmao: but long story short I've grenaded a CV with the locker and no ill effects have come from the aussie locker since I recieved it from torq masters. if you decide to warranty yours be sure you have the measurements u took at install after I installed the new one they sent me i called them and got the OK on the measurements I took (for future warranty need) I dont want any BS if it blows up and i want a new one :lmao:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i dont have a locker up front but i was doing the exact same thing you were, and a little bouncing. same thing happend to me, a loud pop. i thought it was a cv, but it wasnt. and it sounded like something was binding in the front diff and making awful sounds. it turned out to be that i gernaded my gears (see carnage of the month). it sucks cause its a pain in the ass to work that front diff.

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
With IFS, your best bet is the ARB locker. But, it's an expensive solution up front. But, I figure it save money in the long run.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
99FlowedTaco said:
if you decide to warranty yours be sure you have the measurements u took at install
Bill from engineering is sending me a spring and pin kit, so I'll just have to dig in and see exactly what is broken.

Thanks, man.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gregers05 said:
i dont have a locker up front but i was doing the exact same thing you were, and a little bouncing. same thing happend to me, a loud pop. i thought it was a cv, but it wasnt. and it sounded like something was binding in the front diff and making awful sounds. it turned out to be that i gernaded my gears (see carnage of the month). it sucks cause its a pain in the ass to work that front diff.
Fortunately I don't think that is the problem, as the driver side wheel still turns just fine.

Hopefully just some broken pins.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want to pour too much money into the drivetrain on this pig, so if I break another lunchbox locker I'll just go back to open front.

Gonna be going Dana 60F/70R and Atlas 4-spd in a couple years.

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Fortunately I don't think that is the problem, as the driver side wheel still turns just fine.

Hopefully just some broken pins.

I hope that just it. But, pulling the front diff, and taking it apart is a PITA.

·
Registered
870 Posts
never broken anything up front with my arb, but im pretty sure the cv would go, then maybe the gear inside the hub, after that the R&P and then maybe the arb, theres a reason why one cost so much more than the other...my 2 cents

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ted said:
I hope that just it. But, pulling the front diff, and taking it apart is a PITA.
I had the diff completely apart, ring gear off the case, and found that the locker wouldn't fit. It was a Jeep locker. Had to put everything back together and then do it again a couple weeks later when the right locker arrived.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
trdtacostand04 said:
never broken anything up front with my arb, but im pretty sure the cv would go, then maybe the gear inside the hub, after that the R&P and then maybe the arb, theres a reason why one cost so much more than the other...my 2 cents
Yeah, I was hoping the axle would be the weak link, and it might still be.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
99FlowedTaco said:
I'm not gonna name names but the original owner had his buddy install it and according to O.O the buddy just slapped it together :lmao:
i think your mistaken.. i installed that locker according to aussie's instructions with a feeler..

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I've blown up 2 CV axles with my Aussie, but the locker was not damaged at all.

Wheeling with ANY locker up front requires a change in your driving styles. I personally don't give 2 shits about ARB lockers vs Aussie lockers. The both do the same job and you will snap CVs with both if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
There is what... 1 measurement? to make with the aussie.
Someone doing a clean install might not be as obvious as say... a R&P.

·
I think I remember where Moab is?
1,227 Posts
Hey man, sorry to hear that, I have broken many a cv's up front and as far as I know I have had no problems with my lock-rite.... Sucks man....ohhh and plenty of the cv's have been broken with alot and I mean alot of force on the front end......

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interex said:
I've blown up 2 CV axles with my Aussie, but the locker was not damaged at all.

Wheeling with ANY locker up front requires a change in your driving styles. I personally don't give 2 shits about ARB lockers vs Aussie lockers. The both do the same job and you will snap CVs with both if you aren't careful.
Good to hear.

I wheeled with it a couple times, including on rocky trails, and the day it failed was on limestone with lots of mud and little traction.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mr.trd said:
Hey man, sorry to hear that, I have broken many a cv's up front and as far as I know I have had no problems with my lock-rite.... Sucks man....ohhh and plenty of the cv's have been broken with alot and I mean alot of force on the front end......
They have sent me the pin and spring kit priority mail so I'll take my truck to Six States and have them tear into it, once work is done for the season.

I'll be going to 35s over the summer so the likelihood of breakage will be even greater. :eek:

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jade said:
Something's going to break if you're bounceing the front end.....
Yeah, but it was so low traction I was just spinning all four until the breakage happened.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts