TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is getting a front locker really worth my money, seeing as how i am still IFS will having the forward locker CV failures if/when used. Or would i be better off just getting a rear. Oh BTW it would be an ARB locker going on a truck that will be getting a procomp 6in lift adjusted down for 33s and possibly some UCAs.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Is getting a front locker really worth my money, seeing as how i am still IFS will having the forward locker CV failures if/when used. Or would i be better off just getting a rear. Oh BTW it would be an ARB locker going on a truck that will be getting a procomp 6in lift adjusted down for 33s and possibly some UCAs.
good choice on the ARB ;)
you can learn how not to bust CVs with a selectable locker.

you won't be adjusting that lift down for 33s unless you do some trimming...or don't mind the rubbing.

now, worth the $ if you don't wheel much? not really but it sure is nice to have when you need it.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
lockers are great. but are you gonna go bigger in the future? regear and lock at the same time to save $.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
got a lockrite up front in my dc and i'll never look back! would like to get an arb someday but $$$$$$. i wheel my truck pretty good, been to tellico a bunch and havn't busted a cv yet(i don't leave home without my spare though) they're not bad at all if you're smart with the skinny pedal.
-daniel

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
if you do not have a rear locker you should definately get that first before getting a front locker.
I agreed with his post so much that it compelled me to use the quote button.

·
Registered
238 Posts
if you do not have a rear locker you should definately get that first before getting a front locker.
When i just recently installed my 5.29's i threw a lockrite in the front, if and when i get the funds a selectable locker will be going in the rear. Just ran out of coin. so if you have one already throw it in (the rear). you will never regret it. :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I have already ordered a rear locker, power trax, awesome little unit had one in my old chevy. As for regearing i was thinking of going a different direction and maybe getting a crawler box, that way i kill two birds with one stone i get rid of that stupid button actuator and i get an awesome low range. I might regear for the road and the sloppy stuff but currently i dont think it will be necessary.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When you re-gear the diffs in a toyota, you are not doing it for the crawl ratio, you are doing it so you can maintain proper RPMs driving down the road with larger tires.

Folks here are assuming since you chose the Pro comp lift you will go to at least 35" tires in the future.

The regear will not do crap for crawling better unless you have Dana axles and can go to 6.XX-7.XX gears.

Those of you with the lockrights in the front........I am assuming you don't have locking hubs, right? I have always had good luck with moderate wheeling and lockright/powertrax type lockers.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Those of you with the lockrights in the front........I am assuming you don't have locking hubs, right?
Just out of curiosity, why?

I have manual hubs.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Those of you with the lockrights in the front........I am assuming you don't have locking hubs, right? I have always had good luck with moderate wheeling and lockright/powertrax type lockers.
I always thought it was better to have locking hubs with permanent lockers(tru-trac,lock-right & Detroit)in the front diff due to on-road quirks with these types of lockers.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey i have Add in the front and thus an ARB air locker in the front. The powertrax is in the rear. I won't be regearing yet because im only gonna be running 33s and should perform just like i want with the crawler box. I won't be running 35s untill an sas kit comes out or they vastly improve IFS suspension, in which case i will ditch my axles anyways. But until then it will be 33s on a 4-5in kit with UCAs and who knows maybe long travel, I hesitate the LT because i here it dont hold up on rocks. In any case wish me luck i've already ordered the powertrax for the rear and the ARB and compressor for the front. The procomp kit will follow along with sliders bumpers and tires+wheels.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why?

I have manual hubs.
Because this is in the late tacoma 4x4 tech forum, and no 05+ has hubs :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
What other mods did you have to make to get Hubs on your Tacoma?
Came like that stock. I'm the second owner, drove down to Birmingham to pick it up from the first owner who bought it at the local dealership (Hoover Toyota??)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Came like that stock. I'm the second owner, drove down to Birmingham to pick it up from the first owner who bought it at the local dealership (Hoover Toyota??)
The deal is your generic response made it look like you had hubs on your 05+, but really that on your 98 :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts