TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
joeylead said:
I am considering getting a LSD installed up fron when i re-gear. I found this place online:

http://www.jawsgear.net/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=31_193_252

is this the only LSD availabe? And anyone know if this is a good price or where else to get one?
the Auburn and the Truetrac are the only LSDs that I've seen for the front diff. (at least in the 'full-carrier' type) There may be other 'drop-ins', however. The TT is a gear driven diff and the Auburn is clutch driven. I had the TT for less than 2 years and it was great for where I was wheeling at the time. I have the ARB now.

When I researched front lockers/LSDs the TT came out with the best track record, hands down ( the ARB was not available at the time). That price is only $10 more than I paid for mine over 2 years ago.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
for a rig like yours,why go halfway?get a full locker.youll be glad you did.
limited slips are just that-limited.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
KRYPTO(dale) said:
hey, you figured out the avitars, weeee!

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
hytenor said:
hey, you figured out the avitars, weeee!
thanx to you!

weee! now if they could automatically change to new avatars every other posts...like a cd changer on random select.i'm never f-ing satisfied.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
KRYPTO(dale) said:
thanx to you!

weee! now if they could automatically change to new avatars every other posts...like a cd changer on random select.i'm never f-ing satisfied.
yea, I wish there was a way to put a big batch of them on a rotation but for now I just manually switch them

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
The "elf" in your current one is a scary looking creature!

:D

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Murderman said:
The "elf" in your current one is a scary looking creature!

:D

actually, the costume is a rendition of the 'Rigoletto' character from Verdi's "Rigoletto". I wore this on in the 2nd act costume party scene of "Eugene Onegin" this last fall season...a fun show ;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
OK hytenor, do you manuel hubs? I have been wanting to do the TT up front but I have the auto hubs. Will I have ANY problems on a daily driver?

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
7wt said:
OK hytenor, do you manuel hubs? I have been wanting to do the TT up front but I have the auto hubs. Will I have ANY problems on a daily driver?
I do have manual hubs but the TT with ADD would be fine and have no effect on things as a DD. If you want an LSD up front that seems to be the best choice on the market. It was awesome in the snow, sand and other loose stuff. It was fun to be able to actually feel it 'grab' after about a half revolution of slip from the front wheel. The drawbacks showed up on trails with big rocks to climb where you get a front tire airborn which is why I switched to the ARB. ,,,'course now I have to carry more spare axles ;)

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Chris, glad to see someone bringing some culture to the forum, since I ain't helping much. ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Murderman said:
Chris, glad to see someone bringing some culture to the forum, since I ain't helping much. ;)
culture? LOL sub-culture, maybe ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
bigd9247 said:
will a full locker like the Lockright have any negative effects on a daily driver with the automatic hubs?
yes, but many have learned to live with them.

with a fully locked front diff and ADD everything is turning including the front driveshaft so you wind up with more wear/tear on those components. your gas mileage drops as well for the same reason...more hp is robbed from the engine to keep everything moving. Steering can get interesting on hi-traction surfaces since the front axles are now turning at the same speed on both sides rather than with the open diff allowing two different wheel speeds during a turn. Without manual hubs its just not a great idea to have a full-time locker up front. The Lockrite does not act like a full blown locker like a Detroit, however, and allows for some slippage during turns.

someone with more Lockrite/ADD knowledge take over ;)

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I bet a highly creative group of folks like in y'all's industry must throw some wild parties.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
hytenor said:
someone with more Lockrite/ADD knowledge take over ;)
Not necessarily lock-right/ADD, but I guarantee you that I can tell when the front manual hubs are locked with my Detroit in 2WD on the street.....more understeer.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Murderman said:
I bet a highly creative group of folks like in y'all's industry must throw some wild parties.
I'm not much of a party'r so I wouldn't know ;)
I hear some of the shindigs that the, uh, "guys" throw are quite interesting, however ;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hytenor said:
the Auburn and the Truetrac are the only LSDs that I've seen for the front diff. (at least in the 'full-carrier' type) There may be other 'drop-ins', however. The TT is a gear driven diff and the Auburn is clutch driven. I had the TT for less than 2 years and it was great for where I was wheeling at the time. I have the ARB now.

When I researched front lockers/LSDs the TT came out with the best track record, hands down ( the ARB was not available at the time). That price is only $10 more than I paid for mine over 2 years ago.
I know that the Arb must be a lot better than the LSD, but the cost of an Arb is was to prohibitive for me. But I am glad to hear that you had positive with it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KRYPTO(dale) said:

I know that the LSD is a compromise, but my truck is also my DD so a full time locker is not an option (I also get a lot of snow and icy road conditions) and the ARB costs way to much. So i figure this way i will still get upgraded traction and break less front axels anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts