TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swaping front differentials and hit a snag when taking out the axles and manual locking hubs. I can't get the hub body off!!! There are six bolts w/ centering cones that I can't seem to break free?>?>? How do I do this? The Toyota service manual for the truck says to use a brass drift and hammer the bolts, and it seems that would help break the cones free. Not for me, I used a cobalt drift and a BFH(Big [email protected]#$ing Hammer) and no budge. Haven't resorted to heat w/ penetraing oil but I don't think it should be this hard. Am I doing something wrong??? I removed the rotor to try and see the back of the bolts but i can't see them. Are they studs that are pressed in? Help!!!! The rear diff went great and I don't wanna get stuck w/ the just the rear in and hit an Ice storm and need my 4x4.
Thanks for any advice!!!!!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
So you need to get the cone washers out? First, take the nuts and washers off and spray the whole thing down with PB Blaster or other penetrating oil and let it soak for a minute.

Then take your drift (I would go with brass if I were you - a hard punch risks damaging the threads on the studs) and make A COUPLE firm raps on a stud, then a couple on the next one, working your way around. You'll see them pop loose. Once you get one freed up, the rest come a lot easier.

Method #2 is not recommended, but will probably be OK for just once... take your BFH and tap on the side of the hub, ONE tap, working your way around by each stud. The risk is hitting the hub too hard and damaging it.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
You may be able to get a screwdriver on the opening, and tap it into that opening. Then tap on the studs.

I fiond it easier (and less damaging to the threads) to hit it with a nut on the very edge of the stud.

Reassemble with anti sieze.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Yeah, I had to reassemble mine for the time being without anti sieze. I removed them a couple days later to apply anti sieze, and lemmy tell ya, it was a B to remove them!

I Removed them a week later and pulled the hub off to check everything and it came off like butter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys!!! It came apart with no problem! a sharp chisle and a hammer did the trick and I didn't damage the crome hubs!! now how do you remove the front diff??? Its hitting everything!!!! Seems to be hung up on the rear mount and I can't get it high enough to get the rear above the stud. Help!!!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
67w30 said:
Thanks Guys!!! It came apart with no problem! a sharp chisle and a hammer did the trick and I didn't damage the crome hubs!!
Works everytime ;)

67w30 said:
now how do you remove the front diff??? Its hitting everything!!!! Seems to be hung up on the rear mount and I can't get it high enough to get the rear above the stud. Help!!!
Removing he diff is a little tricky. Have a friend help you out with rotating it in different angles until you have just enough clearance for the pinion flange to clear the bell housing. When I pulled mine, I used a floor jack to lift the transmission slightly.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I PM'd Ken earlier and got this reply

67w30 said:
grillmasterp said:
As simple as it may sound- its literally just the 3 bolts-

two up front and the rear bolt-
I used a floor jack to support the weight of the front diff and had another body provide an extra set of hands- -

It was a matter of "up & over" for the rear mount-
You might be able to get the bolt out of the cusion or just remove the cushion as well-
-If you are having probs- just bolt up the front mounts (loosely) ..Take a break... try again
ant it was really that simple!!! I removed the front bolts first and the rear mount seemed to be hanging off the rear so it wouldn't come out. So I did what you said and put the front bolts back in and I accutally popped the rear mount and once I removed the front bolts it about fell out. Thanks Again!!! Next time you are anywhere near here the beers are on me!!!! once again I say thank you to the all knowing!!!LOL!!! Any installation tips?
Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts