TTORA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 96 with a front reciever which was on the truck when I bought it back in 98. It uses a strip of C-channel which bolts to the lower control arm cross member. The 2" reciever is them welded to the c-channel. Works great for a tow point but it hangs too low and reduces the approach angle. The reciever sticks out throught the top part of the factory skid plate, which had to be cut out. I'm going to ditch it when I get a new bumper. Sorry no pic's.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harryarse said:
I have a 96 with a front reciever which was on the truck when I bought it back in 98. It uses a strip of C-channel which bolts to the lower control arm cross member. The 2" reciever is them welded to the c-channel. Works great for a tow point but it hangs too low and reduces the approach angle. The reciever sticks out throught the top part of the factory skid plate, which had to be cut out. I'm going to ditch it when I get a new bumper. Sorry no pic's.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. For some reason I figured the hitch would come out of the place where the plates normally are mounted. From your description it appears as though they hang even lower,...

Dick Foster said:
If you're getting the winch for wheeling. Hard mount it.
I was actually thinking of using it for a better tow/recovery point. I don't like the stock ones. I have seen the chevy tow hook write up you had, but was looking for other options that will not require changing the factory look or cutting of the valence.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
In that case, someone had a deal that mounted shackles where the tow hooks go. Looked to be pretty slick but you still had to get up under the truck to hook up and I was too lazy for that.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Dick Foster said:
In that case, someone had a deal that mounted shackles where the tow hooks go. Looked to be pretty slick but you still had to get up under the truck to hook up and I was too lazy for that.
probably referring to these
http://www.fastq.com/~sschaefer/#Shackle

I managed to save the specs/dimensions of the hanger

...I've actually got some steel over at Murderman's house ...we've been procrastinating about fabbing up some shackle mounts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I took one from the junkyard and cut it down to fit under the truck. The sideplates use the factory bolts that attach the shipping hold down brackets. It pushes up on the valance about 1/8", which is unnoticeable. It sits so that it covers the part of the skidplate that comes about straight down and then slopes back. Stealthy and barely noticeable ;)

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
816 Posts
grillmasterp said:

...I've actually got some steel over at Murderman's house ...we've been procrastinating about fabbing up some shackle mounts
Hmm...it says it won't fit 95.5-97 Tacos, but I got similar shackle mounts I just bought from TiTRD, and they fit my '97 just fine. I only had to cut a small notch in the valance.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
grillmasterp said:

150 a pair? A little pricy. The frount mount receivers are around 100 buck and would have the option of putting the winch,... yes yes I know it is better to have a winch hard mounted, but at least there is that flexibility.

BTT to see if anyone has pictures of the frount mounted receiver so I can have an idea of how low it actually is. Thanks.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you remove the winch, where does the receiver sit? Does it come out through the gap where the license plates use to be? Does it stick out further than the bumper? I am trying to get an idea as to how it changes the look and if I can still put my plates back on to hide the receiver(i have gotten tickets for no front plates). What receiver did you get? thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Reciever sits below the license plate and doesnt stick out past the bumper. Bolts where the tow hooks are. Its a Reese from hitchfinder.com $108.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts