TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night when it was extremly slippery out i slid threw a stop sign and t-boned a durango which slid over and hit a taxi!
my truck is the worst. im going to do the other vehicles threw inshurance ( im totally at fault) and do mine on my own.
good time to customize the front!
i was thinking of doing an 01-04 conversion if possible or even a 98 conversion im going to see whats at the wrecking yards for grilles.

then in going to run a fiberglass hood with scoop and flared fenders.
i want some sort of nice aftermarket bumper ( what to get?)

give me some websites and ideas guys and maybe a pirce estimate for everyhting.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l133/mod_rider_700/alexstruck006.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l133/mod_rider_700/alexstruck005.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l133/mod_rider_700/alexstruck003.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l133/mod_rider_700/alexstruck002.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l133/mod_rider_700/alexstruck001.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bummer about your truck.. kudos for stepping up and admitting you were at fault. Been seeing alot of threads lately about people wondering how they can weasel out of stuff they were clearly responsible for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Several years back I got hit by a 15 year old (yes that's right) who ran a red light. The damage didn't look too bad, just the frame poking out through the plastic bumper. At this point I was going to use the insurance $$ to get an aftermarket bumper.

Moral of the story:

I took it down to have an estimate so I could get a check and it was like 3,100 to fix! This included having the frame straightened, new front frame cross member, new color matched bumper, new marker lights, and a few other small things.

Basically I had to do all or nothing through the insurance as they wouldn't just give me the cash for the bumper. There was so much other damage that I didn't even know about that I had to go this route.

Get your truck looked at before you decide. Sorry to hear about the wreck. Good luck,

Rob

·
Banned
722 Posts
No frame damage and motor is good. Less than 1500.
Moderate frame damage 3000

If it costs you over 3000 you didn't shop around enough, didn't do your HW, and didn't do enough work yourself.

Your first step should be to remove the sheetmetal and find out what is actually bent. You need to find out if the frame is good before you start repairs b/c it's going to be easiest to get everything to line back up if you have a straight starting point.

Right now just from the pics you need

-4 front core support pieces
-At least one fender (maybe two)
-A hood
-Front bumper and all support pieces for it

Maybe a rad. or A/c condensor and lines and some of the plastic pieces under the hood.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i drove the truck to the repair shop where it is getting an assesment.

no liths came on so im pretty shure motor is good.

they will tell me if the frame is bent.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Its going to need some drivers side apron work judging by where the door hit the fender. And the whole front may be pushed over to one side. I would have it checked by a shop just to be sure.

I swapped the core support and apron from a flooded 97 4 runner to a wrecked 97 4 runner and it is quite a bit of work. Lots of measuring and a little bit of welding. If you can weld its not so hard. Straighten it as much as possible and then cut the old parts off. Drill spot welds and do it correctly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the part where the door hits the fender is from a previous icnedent off roading the truck. the door is fine.

but now the passanger door hits the fender when opening so i think everyhting may have bent

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
ACE, Get some estimates, and then look around for parts here, and www.car-part.com Hopefully you can find a salvage yard near you that will have what you need, (most yards won't ship sheetmetal) If you go through insurance, I hate to say it, but they may total it. looks to be a 95.5-97 Vintage, with core support, hood, bumper, both fenders, doors, and possibly frame damge. I'd bet that it's going to be close to 50% of the value.... go get some estimates first...

·
Registered
342 Posts
That sucks about your truck man!! What insurance company do you have??

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
PuckerFactor said:
this is why I think we need a carnage section...
sorry bout the truck dude
For us UnNormalAmericans ... street carnage don't count fer shiat... At least not in SoCal... eh eh

And there is a place to post carnage... Wheelin' Carnage anyhow... ;)

OP...

Sorry 'bout yer troubles... Just don't bother putting any of that tupperware shiat back on... waste of money... IMO

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
core support is the Radiator support (where the radiator and headlight buckets bolt to and is welded to the inner fenders.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the radiator seems to be holding fine.

but to your one question yes i can weld im acctually an aprrentice welder right now.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It might be holding the radiator fine, but it's probably mangled... you might be able to straighten it out enough to make it work, but it's probably going to be easier to replace it along with the inner fenders. I am no pro welder, but I replaced the Rad support on mine, It's actually pretty easy if you take your time and measure.

I was mearly pointing out that to an insurance company, a 10 year old truck with 120K+ miles may not be worth fixing. Plus it looks like you live somewhere where rust may be a problem, Before you start replacing sheetmetal, I'd get the frame at least checked out.

If you decide to change to the new front end, you will need to replace the radiator support, along with the hood, fenders (outer), lights, grill, marker lights, bumper, valance, turn signals, I did the exact opposite. I put a 97 front clip onto a doublecab... makes people do a doubletake... :D Now if I can only get the state of AZ to register it...

·
Registered
29 Posts
u know, I am confused as to why you would do the others 'through your insurance' but fix yours out-of-pocket. Surely the insurance company, if you have collision coverage, would pay for yours as well.... the hit to your record is the same. 1 at-fault accident. You would just be out your deductible.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
14 Participants
ACE
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing