TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From what I understand Coil overs and spacers are good for about a 3" lift, But what if you want to go higher, 4" and 6". I have not seen much or heard of much inregards to the taller lifts. I have seen the Fabtech, but is there any other brands out there offering a 6" for the tacoma?

Or would a lift like that be "if staying with IFS" going Long travel? How much lift would a Long travel IFS give you?

*Edit* Please forgive me, I didnot read far enough back at other threads.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
John Doe said:
From what I understand Coil overs and spacers are good for about a 3" lift, But what if you want to go higher, 4" and 6". I have not seen much or heard of much inregards to the taller lifts. I have seen the Fabtech, but is there any other brands out there offering a 6" for the tacoma? Or would a lift like that be "if staying with IFS" going Long travel? How much lift would a Long travel IFS give you? *Edit* Please forgive me, I didnot read far enough back at other threads.
The Fabtech 6" lift is known as a drop-bracket lift. The front suspension is "dropped" using a bracket/crossmember, which also lowers your front diff roughly the amount of the lift. This keeps all the suspension geometry very close to stock, which helps to retain the stock ride qualities.

TrailMaster is the only other 6" drop-bracket kit I know of besides the Fabtech, and its popularity has seemed to suffer after the introduction of the Fabtech kit. Tuff Country makes a 5" kit that apparently is pretty good (comparable to the Fabtech lift). And Pro-Comp Explorer makes a 4" kit that gets mixed reviews.

Long travel kits do not focus on how much lift is gained, which is why they don't advertise how much lift you can expect with one of their kits. The primary concern with long travel kits is the amount of travel, not lift. Additionally, long travel kits are much more expensive than the drop-bracket kits. Some of them run around $5,000.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the swift response.

The Increase in Travel with the Long Travel would do what? Improve Articulation, flex?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
John Doe said:
The Increase in Travel with the Long Travel would do what? Improve Articulation, flex?
Articulation is a function of travel, so yeah, if you increase the travel, you generally increase articulation. But long travel kits are designed for a specific purpose... higher-speed desert running/racing. They're designed to soak up large bumps and dips quickly and smoothly. They can be used in rockcrawling applications, but it's rare. BruceTS (a member on here) runs a LT (long-travel) kit on his 4Runner and does very well in the rocks, from what I've seen and heard.

Your decision on whether you want one type of lift over another should be determined by your needs. What type of wheeling will you be doing? How much experience do you have? What's your budget?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts