TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really!!, I had thought that with most of the weight in the front of the vehical that it would be more benificial to get a front locker. I'd appriciate any thoughts as to why the rear is better?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
tbrown said:
If you guys could afford only one locker, what would you get front or rear?
Rear, without question. having a front locker is nice when you get into something really hairy but I rarely use mine.

ARBs front/rear

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
tbrown said:
If you guys could afford only one locker, what would you get front or rear?
reason not to for the front is imagine youre whole truck being pulled over a rock with just the front cause a back tire is in the air,cv go bang :eek:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Phil88 said:
reason not to for the front is imagine youre whole truck being pulled over a rock with just the front cause a back tire is in the air,cv go bang :eek:
yup ;) and it was a CVU as well. I just have to learn how to drive.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
tbrown said:
Really!!, I had thought that with most of the weight in the front of the vehical that it would be more benificial to get a front locker. I'd appriciate any thoughts as to why the rear is better?
2 reasons. First is that the rear axle is much stronger than the front end and the locker can apply a lot of stress.

The other is that when it is locked it will fight any steering input you apply. When the steering fights the rear axle you still get a fair amount of steering. When it fights the front, you get less. The locked axle will also tend to crab sideways somewhat if you are on a side-slope. Its usually easier to deal with a rear end slipping downhill than the front end (particularly without steering).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
PismoBoy24
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing