TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see alot of guys putting long travel on the front vs on the rear first.i know you have to start somewhere, but wouldn't your truck benfite from the 18" of travel in the rear more.in theory the rear has traction while going thru the whoops to keep the speed up,so the truck wont dolphine dive as bad.or is it a general goo idea to start with the front lt?thanks for any insight on this.

·
Registered
157 Posts
all the weight is up front, and if you hit something hard that is going to stop you its nice to be able to soak it up rather than just stop

·
Registered
225 Posts
Joey, I would say just save up to do the front first unless you have a killer deal lined up on a set of 62's. Like said above, lots more weight up front, plus you already have the fiberlgass fenders, so that's one less thing. Your ride will be great with the front LT and those Hoe's and the 7 leaf pack in the rear.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I did the rear first on my truck and I was really impressed with how well the stock arms did. I had the fabtec coilovers with them cranked to a 2'' lift. There are some cheap things you could do to help a stock rear work better with a LT front, so I'd say do front first.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joey, I would say just save up to do the front first unless you have a killer deal lined up on a set of 62's. Like said above, lots more weight up front, plus you already have the fiberlgass fenders, so that's one less thing. Your ride will be great with the front LT and those Hoe's and the 7 leaf pack in the rear.
word man, word.i'll start saving up for the engage kit

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Ive heard the complete opposite...ive heard that its better to: cage, rear LT, then front LT.

All i know is if youre gonna get the front setup, it doesnt mean youre gonna be up to par with regular LT trucks. Ive taken a ride in a truck with front LT and stock rear and it was scary as hell! Deavers and Donahoes will defintely be better than stock, but lets face it, you wont be gettin the needed up travel through whoops at 50mph.

Its cool, im in the same dilemma.

So lets keep the posts coming...........front? OR rear??

·
Registered
450 Posts
As stated earlier, proper order is cage, rear then front. It doesnt matter how much travel you have up front if you cant keep the power to the graound.

·
Registered
215 Posts
anyone remember the name of the thread where that marine/sailor/soldier had an 07 taco getting fully prepped for long travel, URD supercharged and what not? all i remember was he was in Orange County or sumthin

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well I was in this same position about a year ago. I was trying to figure out if I wanted to be cool like the other kids or do what I and other people thought was the smart idea. I fully caged the rear first. I had fabtech bolt ons up front. The reason I did the rear was because a couple reasons. First, I wanted to do things differently. Second, like Bruuup said. How are you going to maintain power if you keep bucking your rear end. Basically you'll be hauling ass until you hit a section of nasty whoops out of nowhere and yea it happens. All the sudden your backend bucks so hard, you fly up on the front two wheels and endo. This has happened to quite a few people. If I were you I'd rather have my front end buck and have "all that weight" to bring her down again asap. Rather than some floppy rearend flying all over the place. Your choice. Just dont Endo.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
anyone remember the name of the thread where that marine/sailor/soldier had an 07 taco getting fully prepped for long travel, URD supercharged and what not? all i remember was he was in Orange County or sumthin
Countdown begins in late model folder.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
there is a whole articale on this subject on this months toyota rider mag.
FYI GL!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
yup, full cage first would be the smartest!

then rear, finally front. one foreseeable problem would be havinng to cahnge a bunch of shit if you decided on a different kit etc...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thats why I would just do cab back first, then add on later. It sucks having to do it that way, but it is the right way. I rather wait then be :driving: then wade it up and be :explode:

·
Registered
358 Posts
i would agree with everyone on doing the front first. although the rear is equally as important as the front, the front is going to take more abuse being stock than the rear. although with the rear being stock and the front even a mid travel set up like UCAs and coilovers the rear has crazy hop and axle wrap issues, if you can, do them the same time but if not i would start up front, but dont forget the rear.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
More insight, especially on offroad functionality..........?

Im stuck!

Option 1: TC kit and current setup in rear (Dhoes and Deavers) with added Chubbie

Option 2: Bed cage, trip bypasses, and current setup in front (Dhoes and TC arms, chubbies) with added Allied spindle

1 - 20 of 59 Posts