TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about Bunce to Ironclads or something on Sunday, saw a trip report that looked dry, saw another report that suggested it's a high-drama area...what say you all?

Also considering Eagle Rock (saw the thread) but don't know the altitude...maybe snowed in? I'm not looking for a winch party :cool:...but I can do snow as long as I'm not having to go drift bashing every few feet.

Or, is anyone already planning on doing a semi-stock run (couple interested guys here with stockers) Sunday?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Only places runnable up north right now is Bunce and Lefthand Canyon/Carnage Canyon. Not sure what is runnable down south...

Yeah Bunce has been higer drama but I think it is fine to run!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
More places should be opening up soon, but the only ones I can guarantee won't be a winchfest are Bunce School Rd and Lefthand.

Check out co4x4.org for more trip reports

·
Registered
71 Posts
down south mostly is cleared out some snow that makes trails harder but i've been doing fine with all terrians just as long as i don't have to keep pulling jeeps out of stupid s**t. don't know how the actually eagle rock trail is but most the stuff off old stage/gold camp is pretty clear if not any snow.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up. Nada on co4x4 except that the Bunce BS should be over now, and the Rising Sun winchfest from last weekend (?) at Yankee Boy.

We're looking at Switzerland and vicinity, there's some stuff around there for newbs, great views and it connects to the F2F and Bunce/Ironclads.

Lopez I'd like to join you guys the 29th if you're running Eagle and I'm in the area...?

·
Registered
71 Posts
so far i'm going to with one of my friend and his jeep right now i'm thinking of meeting at the homedepot right at the broodmoor exit at 10am

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Switzerland Trail and the surrounding FS roads are almost clear of snow, so they're starting to fill with beer swilling hilljacks...we did a little drift bashing around S/T, took Pennsylvania from Sunrise about 3/4 of the way up (guessing), until a long drift under an av chute stopped us. It's still about 4' deep through there, with smaller drifts and a few big 8' piles in the center of the chute. Before and after the chute it was clear enough, just a few drifts here and there, nothing over about 3' deep, all wet/icy packed spring corn snow and slush.

S/T after Sugarloaf heading toward 72 is also still drifted in, we were surprised...before that point it's bare and dry. Good for a doubletrack MTB ride tho...and from Gold Hill it's in feet wetting form for offroad newbs.

Bunce was indeed open for rednecks of every flavor, whether it was the bros newbing their Taco over the boulder at the bottom of 116/216, the goofball in the LC, or the general flavor of the hickreation area off Bunce School Road. The place is gutted around the staging area...I'd hate to be the land manager up there. "Yeah Bubba! Tear that shit up! Woohooooo!":xbeer3: :missingto :xbeer3:

The trail to Ironclads was in good shape, no mud, few drifts except at the top. We took the right hand loop on 216, went to the split for 216/216A...we were low on time so we didn't take 216A, headed down the left branch. Some decent sized drifts back there still, I was surfing the belly skid breaking trail for the other two trucks, and there were a few untouched drifts remaining so with two guys needing to get back we turned around and exited the way we came in. We saw three trucks up there, a built Taco, a Bronco II, and a NorAm truck...seemed like great guys...all on 35"+ swampers. Dunno if they broke trail through the remaining drifts or not, but large tires at low pressure will be fine...I didn't bother airing down and was fine on 35s @26F/24R, ~5K# rig. Gate's still closed heading toward MSV, we were only there to hit Ironclads for the two guys who'd never been in the dirt much before, so I can't say anything about the road past the 115/116 split. Camp Dick is still gated...Roosevelt hotline sez Memorial Day.

My rig is a Tundra on 35s, bone stock drivetrain, trimmed tubbed and armored, uniballs, 10s in the rear. It's good enough for most trails even with the open diffs. The other trucks were a spacer/body lifted Tundra on 35s and a spacer lifted Tundra on 33s. Both guys did great at Ironclads for having very little experience in the dirt. FWIW Ironclads (FS216) can be easily run in an unlocked stock rig with good tire placement but it's a good place to start since it's close and short.

It was a good trip. I'd like to run this proper in about 4-6 weeks, once the Coney/MSV gates are open...cruise through Four Mile Canyon and check out the old mines and everything, take Pennsylvania Gulch to 72, then take FS115 from Bunce, hit Ironclads and the crash site along the way to MSV, then exit Coney if anyone wants to come with. In the meantime I'm goin' to Moab...

-Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts