TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the recommended gear lube for the front and rear diffs? its a 99 4x4 if that makes a difference

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've been using 75-90 Mobil 1 synthetic oil for about 3 years... :) So far so good.

FS.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Whatever meets the GL-5 Spec and is easily available. This may freak some people out but I use coastal :eek: gear lubes and greases in my Tacoma. WEll I also use Supertech when I can find it in the gear oil or grease I need(I like this stuff cheap)! Motor oil and transmission fluid is a much different story. And nope, with my tires and use profile I don't think I would realize fuel savings with synthetic gear lubes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
75w90 sythetic from front diff, trans, T-case, and rear diff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is it really worth the extra $$ to use synthetic? i am going to have to extend my rear diff breather so i wont get muddy water in there anymore......just keep puttin it off, next weekend maybe

·
Registered
475 Posts
tntaco said:
is it really worth the extra $$ to use synthetic? i am going to have to extend my rear diff breather so i wont get muddy water in there anymore......just keep puttin it off, next weekend maybe
To me it does.. It flows better in low low temperatures and takes lots of high temperature before it breaks down.
I also think that it helps the gears work a little more smooth..

FS.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
If you really want to go synthetic go. Just remember that breather tubes are no gaurantee against water contamination. Personally I have a couple more years worth of Gear oil to use but by them maybe I will go with something like this stuff in my driveline. http://www.specialtyformulations.com/index_files/Page457.htm

For now I am hitting it with the cheap once a year approach for all lubes.
1 year on T-case and diff oils(Coastal), 1 year drain and refills on automatic tranny(Penzoil), and recently I switched to something that will carry me for one year in the crankcase(?). That should do it. Damn what will I do with all that free time?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts