TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not 4x4 tech but I'm not EXACTLY sure where it fits.... Anyways, I saw people were interested in one, as am I. And one guy was posting on here how to modify a hitch to fit....

Warn makes a front receiver hitch for the front of the 95-04 tacomas. Bolt on.... It's only 150 bucks... I think it's my next purchase.

http://www.desertrat.com/products/?id=3318

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have the Warn and it works well except it kills my approach angle. :banghead: I have done well working around it on the trail, it just takes a little extra effort. A plus is it protects the radiator (It has saved my butt more than once) and frame.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interex said:
I got mine from Reese. I think it was $130. Anyway, I took it off now that I've got a winch bumper. I'll probably end up selling it if you are intersted. ;)

*EDIT: $115 http://www.hitchesonline.com/toyota_front_end.htm

i will take yours for sure. paypal in hand, I have some accessories I'd like to use in the front, as well as putting out small trailers in tight places from the front is very appealing. Does it fit with the stock bumper, do you have a pic installed ?? Is this as strong as a rear hitch, like could I use it as a recovery/tow point??

What do you want for yours, I'm in 33413 Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Cruznlife1 said:
I know it's not 4x4 tech but I'm not EXACTLY sure where it fits.... Anyways, I saw people were interested in one, as am I. And one guy was posting on here how to modify a hitch to fit....

Warn makes a front receiver hitch for the front of the 95-04 tacomas. Bolt on.... It's only 150 bucks... I think it's my next purchase.

http://www.desertrat.com/products/?id=3318

look around for a trailer supply place. call and see if they have weld on recievers.... usually in the range of 20-50 bucks depending on lots of things. its just a reciever attached to a plate.... or sometimes just the square 2" tube. but either way then you can adapt it to your own bumper instead of adapting your bumper to a hitch....

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
tacotoy said:
look around for a trailer supply place. call and see if they have weld on recievers.... usually in the range of 20-50 bucks depending on lots of things. its just a reciever attached to a plate.... or sometimes just the square 2" tube. but either way then you can adapt it to your own bumper instead of adapting your bumper to a hitch....
One could get a little more ground clearence this way, a straighter shot to the end of the frame instead of bolting on underneath. Good idea, I had not thought of this in this manner, I made my own.

Anyways, I think this is sound advice.

Wally

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have a place down the street, they sell just the recievers, but I am using the stock bumper and dont plan to switch... Also I like the way that the front hitch would protect the radiator.... I also dont trust my welding enough to try it on my own.... I'm basically looking for a bolt on affair and minor modification to the front bumper. minor=just cutting a hole for the receiver to poke through.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
There are a couple of problems with those and wheeling. If you run with it mounted, it will kill your approach angle in addition to the constant strain of all that weight up there bouncing up and down. Do you setup up your suspension to run with or without it. It can't be both ways.
The second is that if you choose to run with it in the bed then mount it on an as needed basis. Where you are going to wind up needing it is not likely to be conducive to your digging the thing out of the bed then hauling the heavy ass thing around and getting it mounted and connected. Envision doing that in the middle of a huge mud bog or half way up a steep rocky slope.
About the only practical use of a front hitch is launching a boat or maybe using a winch mounted in one to do some farm or ranch type work. Only if you plan to wheel fire road type terrain is it a viable option for off road use.

Just thought that should be pointed out before you go spend your time and money for something that is liable to be temporary.

If any of you folks have one, don't bother me with saying it does OK for you. I just don't give a damn. I've heard and seen it all before and you know what I am saying is the truth. If you don't, you just don't wheel very difficult trails.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, I figured it stayed completely behind the bumper, I dont run any difficult trails, I am just looking for a recovery point in the front without having to add a bumper or brushguard... As for the weight, I'm not understanding, the thing weighs what, like 30 lbs if that. This looks smaller than my rear hitch and that thing was less than 40 lbs. I can't invision the weight being a problem..... But I hear, believe and appreciate what your saying... Anyone have a picture of one mounted ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cruznlife1 said:
Hmm, I figured it stayed completely behind the bumper, I dont run any difficult trails, I am just looking for a recovery point in the front without having to add a bumper or brushguard... As for the weight, I'm not understanding, the thing weighs what, like 30 lbs if that. This looks smaller than my rear hitch and that thing was less than 40 lbs. I can't invision the weight being a problem..... But I hear, believe and appreciate what your saying... Anyone have a picture of one mounted ?
i think he was under the assumption that you were getting it to mount a winch

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Anthony - I'll be able to get a shipping quote for you when I get home this evening.

To comment on what Dick said, yes you will kill your approach angle but probably not to the extent that you are going to have to pull it off everytime you go out and wheel. When I installed the winch on mine, I didn't have chance to buy quick disconnects. Because of this I ended up leaving it on there. It's been out on a few trips and has never really given me any real trouble. Occasionally I will push some dirt around but not enough to get me stuck or even take a different approach.

If you are concerned about your approach angle though I would suggest Chrisc's hidden winch mod. More info can be found here: http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20084
Here's a pic:

This will allow you full use of your winch at any time, minimal to no change to your approach angle, the added radiator protection, gives you up to 3 heavy duty recovery points, the ability to use the receiver to move trailers around, and lastly the ability to winch things onto your trailer.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol, I dont even have a winch haha. I went back through my posts to make sure I didnt mention I had one, everyone is just assuming I did.... I plan on putting a quick disconnect behind the bumper anyways, because a buddy of mine does have a cradle mounted winch that i'd like to be able to use if I needed to.... I just want a front recovery point for the very little offroading I actually do, and a place to stick my ball mount in so I can move my trailer around in tight places....

And I didnt know that it put the receiver that low, I figured it would be up higher, like near the bottom of the chrome part of the bumper, and I'd just cut a square in the plastic....

BUT I MUST say, I love that winch behind the stock bumper like that, VERY cool looking....

·
Registered
661 Posts
Dick Foster said:
snip...

Just thought that should be pointed out before you go spend your time and money for something that is liable to be temporary.

If any of you folks have one, don't bother me with saying it does OK for you. I just don't give a damn. I've heard and seen it all before and you know what I am saying is the truth. If you don't, you just don't wheel very difficult trails.
It gets in the way, wheeling with a winch mounted in it is stupid and nearly impossible, it is a strong recovery point, it provides protection. Don't wheel alone on tough trails so you can be recovered with a strap or somebody else's winch.

I have wheeled with mine on the front for eight years and it has kept me from taking the easy or best lines on some obstacles. I will be replacing mine with a rock bumper sometime soon but it is better than nothing up front. I'll sell it to somebody else when I am finished with it. :2cents:

I don't give an defecating rat's anus whether anybody else gives a damn, but I like the attitude. :flipoff1:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
some dude mounted his rear hitch upside down so the reciever was behind his l. plate on the stock r bumper. i wonder if you could just flip the front hitch around like that and end up w the reciever at the top of the oem bumper. just a thought, i have no clue.

·
Registered
661 Posts
darwink1 said:
some dude mounted his rear hitch upside down so the reciever was behind his l. plate on the stock r bumper. i wonder if you could just flip the front hitch around like that and end up w the reciever at the top of the oem bumper. just a thought, i have no clue.
That is a great idea, I'll have to look into that! :kewl:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
darwink1 said:

i was just thinking of this too.

i know that on the 98-00 tacos there is enough room on the frame to mount it upside down and on top of the frame...

·
Registered
661 Posts
gregers05 said:
i was just thinking of this too.

i know that on the 98-00 tacos there is enough room on the frame to mount it upside down and on top of the frame...
I don't know about on a '96 but I'll be checking that out.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
In responce to some of the criticism of the front mulit mount winch.. I have had both, a receiver on my previous rig and 4runner.. and the ARB on my 4runner and P/U... I am now selling my P/U and getting a new taco.. .and will be going back to multimount...

For pure rockcrawling the ARB is better, but for a rig that does trail, long camping trips, snow, etc.. the multi mount has got it beat hands down. Yes the approach angle is not as good (there is the warn trans4mer option to raise it).. but that is where the negatives stop. The winch itself is not super heavy so its not necessary to go with a super stiff spring.. The winch can be kept in the bed if wanted... And they hook up pretty darn quick.. never taken so long its been an issue. The ability to use the winch in the rear is the best part.. I probally used the winch in the rear on my old ford ( I say old, but it was newer than my runner and p/u) twice as much as I did in the front... espicaly when playing in the snow..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
ah64id
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing