TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 with IFS and I need a front skid plate, because it didn't have one when I bouht it and I would like to get one for it. Does anyone have an old (straight) one they want to sell? Also, what aftermarket company makes one? thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Camstoy86 said:
I have an 86 with IFS and I need a front skid plate, because it didn't have one when I bouht it and I would like to get one for it. Does anyone have an old (straight) one they want to sell? Also, what aftermarket company makes one? thanks
Check out BUDBUILT.com or call him, great plates, great guy, high quality!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
x3 on budbuilt

·
Registered
32 Posts
What about Skid Row skid plates, they seem just as stout and less expensive?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Skid Row makes stuff for Jeeps, and is just now entering the Toyota scene. Something to be said for a company that's exclusively Toyota and been there since the beginning...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have an pro comp skid, but its worthless. even reinforced with more sheet and round bar stock welded along the sides, Im confident a tiny tiny rock would crumple it like paper. Its mostly for looks, but for functionality not recomended.

I would go with the bud built, it offers great strength and covers a good amount of area, where most aftermarket skids cover as much as the stocker.

·
Registered
125 Posts
BudBuilt x5

·
Registered
360 Posts
x4 for Budbuilt

The stock one is worthless.
So; I do not Krawl that much but I have nailed buried 4X4's posts, huge slabs of Cypress beams and oil drums partially buried in the sand at speed and have done no damage. When I mean speed, I mean 20 to 30 MPH; enough to send the entire truck up off the sand.
Should I be concerned about the stock piece? (I have hammered a few dents ourt of it; but it has never failed me.)

Thanx

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
I will be getting a Budbult skid for the front of my 86 runner..:D

·
Registered
413 Posts
its good insurance at the least. The stock skid probably could take a good amount of abuse, I wouldnt think toyota would put something completely worthless on their vehicles. Bud built will be 100 times better.

plus, the bud built protects the front truss, and rear as well (if you have an aftermarket one) as well as the front diff and some of the driveshaft. If you hit a log or can at speed with that you should glance over it, where the stock one woudlnt protect as much and is a lot thinner and would probably fracture, bend, or crumple

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is the Bud Built made from steel or aluminum? I saw one discarded into the back of a Taco during our last TO at Llano. The bolts had stripped.

If the unit is larger than the stock unit; it only has 4 bolts?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Is the Bud Built made from steel or aluminum? I saw one discarded into the back of a Taco during our last TO at Llano. The bolts had stripped.

If the unit is larger than the stock unit; it only has 4 bolts?
it steel mine weighs about 55lbs

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
On the pretaco trucks, it's supposed to be 6 bolts:

2 BIG bolts horizontally into the crossmember behind the bumper

2 countersunk allen bolts vertically into the crossmember in front of the diff

2 countersunk allen bolts vertically into a non-factory crossmember behind the diff.

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
Don't know the etiquette about reviving old posts, but..

On the pretaco trucks, it's supposed to be 6 bolts:

2 countersunk allen bolts vertically into the crossmember in front of the diff

2 countersunk allen bolts vertically into a non-factory crossmember behind the diff.
Didn't you tell me you found the countersunk allen bolts challenging to get lined up when re-attaching the skid? I thought you said something about round head carrige bolts... Did you mod your budbuilt to take round head bolts? or was I smokin crack while you were talking?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
No, I added a Sonoran steel crossmember with sleeved holes so the bolt can wiggle around a bit. If you come to the HOW next weekend I'll show ya.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wonder if some of the used import places around my home would have a used factory skid plate...shouldn't be too hard to find...and there's always ebay!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts