TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those that have built Hybrid front springs on the SA Toys, What combos did you use? Im preparing to do something to the front and would like to know some options. Ive seen the mazda stuff on Pirate and other boards. What I want to know is what you have done and how you liked it.

On a side note Ive been thinking about the Rancho 44044's Have you seen anyone use them?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Well, I don't have an older toy, but I am SASed and I like my 7 leaf waggy springs. I picked them up from JC Whitney for $100 a piece, while spendy they are pretty good. I also hear good things about All-Pro and Marlin springs. I think both of them are on sale this month.

EDIT- I take it all back, Brian from Front Range is right go with All-Pro or Marlin springs! I bent both of my JC Whitney waggy springs this weekend. :D

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
If I were you, I'd find some rear leafs from an older Toyota. Mix in a few leafs from a 7 leaf Waggy pack and you'll have a nice setup. My buddy put hi-steer and rears up front and easily doubled the amount of flex.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats kinda the info im looking for.Im thinking of getting 63 chevys for the rear and move the stock rears up front. Im hoping to get the Hysteer stuff for christman. I had just wondred about the 7 leaf waggys.

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
Basically take your rear leaf springs, add some 1st gen rear leaf springs, mix and match until you get the right combo. I've talked to a friend that has done this and he said that it's not worth it. Buy some springs from AP or Marlin and be done with it. He went through 4 different variations and finally settled on some AP springs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ive run too many different springs, on the order of ~20 fronts. Ive run YJ, waggy, rancho, NWOR, downey, rears-up-front, and more. Dont wait your time. Call up marlin, allpro, or downey and buy a real spring.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all I guess I may be saving some cash To get some front springs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the pack i made was the 2 rear main wrap leaves, 3 waggies on the drivers side, and 4 waggies on the pass side. Remeber that on toy axles the pass side perch sits like 3/8" higher than the driver side. My setup has a great amount of articulation and i dont even have on good shocks yet!

it looked like this

PASS DRIVE
- rear main - rear main
- rear wrap - rear wrap
- waggie - waggie
- waggie - waggie
- waggie - waggie
- waggie

the last waggie was the smallest leaf, for the others i used the 3 biggest leaves minus the main. Email me and ill try to get you pics. [email protected]

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks Im going to e-mail for the pics.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
85runnerman said:
shit that didnt turn out like i hoped, o well you get the idea

Oh I understand. I PMed ya.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Springs

Front Range said:
Ive run too many different springs, on the order of ~20 fronts. Ive run YJ, waggy, rancho, NWOR, downey, rears-up-front, and more. Dont wait your time. Call up marlin, allpro, or downey and buy a real spring.
Hey whats up man, i was just curious about the problems you had with the rears in the front and th waggy springs up front? How much total lift do you gain from waggy's up front, the 44044's anyway? I have my 83 waiiting for money for new front springs so i can Fab up my X-over steering. I have AOR springs out back with 14" Billies'. Just curious if you could give me your input on this stuff.

Sean

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
My main leaf is a Superlift 2" lift spring for a Wagoneer. The rest is a stock waggy pack. Since it is 52" eye to eye on my Superlift, I may be moving to a Durango rear main leaf for more flex, then mix the stock waggy with some stock Taco rear leafs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Problems with each varied. From too soft, too sloppy side to side (yeah I know that sounds wierd), easily bending, etc. The last leaf pack run on that rig was a set of 5 or 6 stock yj, and an addaleaf I think. I was lazy and didnt put any clamps in, and couldnt reuse any. So I got to enjoy lots of front axle wrap, and later breaking the springs off. What fun! Never ran the 44044's. They are 300 #/in spring, just like 3" lift springs for a toy, but will yeild 6.5" of lift. WAAAY to big for me. For 2 bills, Id just buy some springs, built for a yota from someone other than nwor.

83srtoy said:
Hey whats up man, i was just curious about the problems you had with the rears in the front and th waggy springs up front? How much total lift do you gain from waggy's up front, the 44044's anyway? I have my 83 waiiting for money for new front springs so i can Fab up my X-over steering. I have AOR springs out back with 14" Billies'. Just curious if you could give me your input on this stuff.

Sean

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I ran the Downey's on my '83 for many years without any problems before I hacked it up for parts. Pretty sure the springs are still in my "good" parts pile. :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
Timbuddha said:
go with All-Pro or Marlin springs! I bent both of my JC Whitney waggy springs this weekend. :D
I would go with Marlins over All-pro springs. If you search the pirate board you will find a thread discussing the differences. Marlins are longer. 1.5" I think. :confused:

I have All Pro long travel springs with the AP drop hanger and my front shackle angle sucks. Guess it probably depends on if your building a drop spring hanger, buying a drop spring hanger, or using the stock hanger.

Kurt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts