TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a tube bumper but I've read that certain bumpers require modification of the OEM mount such as cutting to make the tube bumper fit and give it a better approach angle. This might not be common with all bumpers but is it a possibility with some bumpers? Before I purchase a bumper I want to see if it's common or uncommon to modify the OEM mounts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm considering buying a tube bumper but I've read that certain bumpers require modification of the OEM mount such as cutting to make the tube bumper fit and give it a better approach angle. This might not be common with all bumpers but is it a possibility with some bumpers? Before I purchase a bumper I want to see if it's common or uncommon to modify the OEM mounts.

Thanks!
The frames changed in 2001 therefore bumpers made to fit 2001 to 04 models will not fit 96-00 models. However most people chose to reinforce the stock frame structure up front for heavier after market bumpers anyways. The manufacturer of your bumper should be able to tell you whether or not you will have to modify your mounts to make it fit.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The frames changed in 2001 therefore bumpers made to fit 2001 to 04 models will not fit 96-00 models. However most people chose to reinforce the stock frame structure up front for heavier
after market bumpers anyways. The manufacturer of your bumper should be able to tell you whether or not you will have to modify your mounts to make it fit.
I know what year bumper I need to buy because I own the truck. I know what the manufacturer has told me and that's why I'm asking if it's common or not.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I know what year bumper I need to buy because I own the truck. I know what the manufacturer has told me and that's why I'm asking if it's common or not.
:slap:

·
Registered
34 Posts
some might say only of your winching off the bumper, but I would just do it, it cheap insurance, and is really easy to do.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
:confused: R U asking...

if an oem mount is modified... can it be re-used with other bumper designs...
and can it be returned to it's oem configuration ?

I'd think if the mfg'r can't answer that...
then U should choose another product.

To help advise U on a bumper that U might be thinking of installing...
and wish to know more details of...
You should list those here... and ask ?'s to the owners of those.

If it worries U too much...
stick to bolt on units like the ARB anchor :2cents:

My All Pro required permanent frame horn mods to muh '00
so there is no going back for me...
least not simply.

But I know the '01-'04 models require much less modification to the original mounts for the same AP bumper... and likely could be returned to it's oem configuration with little effort.

btw...
a cut off wheel, grinder and welder solves most issues
when the time comes for bumper repair or replacement. ;)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tube bumper that I'm interested in is used. The person that owns it had to have his OEM mounts cut at angle so the bumper could sit a little closer to the body. My question is, is cutting and modifying an OEM mount necessary to mount a tube bumper or are most tube bumpers made to fit the OEM mounts without modifications? I know modifications are necessary prior to 01 like Dells.

I prefer not to modify it in case I make changes in the future. However, like you mentioned, a grinder and welder can be used later if necessary.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Most bolton/manufactured bumpers don't require anything but simply bolting on or minimal fab work. This makes it simply for any bonehead to slap a few bolts in and call it a day. Anything custom/garage fab/small shop will usually require some cutting grinding.

All that said who cares if it requires some cutting welding ect. i would bet once you put a bumper on you will never take it off. If this particular tube bumper is something you think you may take off someday, then it's not something you should waste your money on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts