TTORA Forum banner

Front wheel bearing on 88 4Runner

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  little_joe 
#1 ·
I'm just wondering if there are any special tools (sockets, etc) that I'm going to need to switch out wheel bearings on a 88 4Runner. I've done the Tacoma wheel bearings, and that went pretty good, but required a special socket...just hoping that isn't the case to do this 88. If not that wheel may just have to wait until I SAS that truck...I already have the axle...may just have to be rushed up.

Thanks,
David

#2 ·
CornbredNE said:
I'm just wondering if there are any special tools (sockets, etc) that I'm going to need to switch out wheel bearings on a 88 4Runner. I've done the Tacoma wheel bearings, and that went pretty good, but required a special socket...just hoping that isn't the case to do this 88. If not that wheel may just have to wait until I SAS that truck...I already have the axle...may just have to be rushed up.

Thanks,
David
Ask beatertoy on the VA board. He just did his and he said that it was not that hard. It is nothing like the tacoma.

#3 ·
I take it you are talking about the bearing that attaches the brake hub to the steering nuckle. If this is the case here is what you need to do.

Remove free wheeling/locking hub

Remove brake

Remove axle hub with disc
screwdriver to release the lock washer
using sst (09607-60020) remove the lock nut and lock washer
using sst (same as above) remove the adjusting nut
remove hub and disc together

Remove inner bearing and oil seal - use a screw driver to pry out oil seal then remove bearing from the hub

Use a brass bar and hammer to remove the bearing outer race

It calls of a SST p/n 09608-35014 to drive in new races

p/n's for bearings
inner bearing 09608-06020, 09608-06200
outer bearing 09608-06020, 09608-06210

pack bearings with grease

coat inside hub with grease

install new inner bearing and oil seal

coat the oil seal with grease

install hub to steering knuckle

adjust preload
using sst 09607-60220 (torque wrench) torque the adjusting nut
Torque 43 ft-lb
turn the hub right or left two-three times
retighten the adjusting nut to 43 ft-lb
loosen the nut until it is hand tight
retighten the adjusting nut to 18 ft-lb
using a spring tension gauge che preload
6.4-12.6 lb

install lock washer and lock nut
torque to 58 ft-lb
recheck preload (if not in spec adjust with the adjusting nut)

install hub
install brakes

that's about it. I think you could get by without the SST for getting the nuts on and off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.