TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here kept their Taco IFS long enough to run into having to replace the front wheel bearings?

One of mine is on the way out, and all the tech I have seen posted says it requires a 50 ton press to get the damn things apart. Has anyone here had any luck doing this job themselves without having an industrial press at their disposal? Alternately, does anyone have the equipment to do the job in exchange for some :xbeer3: ?

Really don't want to have to pay a shop to do this job..

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I did it during a manual hub swap once but it took that big ass press to get it done. It just laughed at the standard 10 tonish press that most folks have.

One of em finally let go at around 25 tons while the other exploded at about 30 tons and I still had to cut a bearing race off the spindle with a Dremel tool and cutoff wheel.

The problem is with how they are made. They are made so they bind when you try to press the bearing assembly off of the spindle.

The experance was not what I call a hell of a lot of fun.

One thing is for damn sure, you ain't about to do it with that clusterfuck of SSTs they show in the manual and a couple of combination wrenches like they show it suppodely being done. That's a fucking fairy tale.

BTW it's a bit easier if you just cut the dust plates off the knuckles then patch them back together when you're done. It beats trying to work around them when doing the press work. Just make nice clean straight cuts so patching them back together later is all the easier. Makes it all the easier to work on later too.

Has anyone here kept their Taco IFS long enough to run into having to replace the front wheel bearings?

One of mine is on the way out, and all the tech I have seen posted says it requires a 50 ton press to get the damn things apart. Has anyone here had any luck doing this job themselves without having an industrial press at their disposal? Alternately, does anyone have the equipment to do the job in exchange for some :xbeer3: ?

Really don't want to have to pay a shop to do this job..

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have not done a Tacama bearing, however old 60s Tempests had a rear axle bearing like that. What we did was wrap the bearing with a rag to contain the parts and hit it with a BIG ball peen hammer. The outer race will shatter and then w a combination of a angle grinder to cut a small slot where the air chisel is "applied" to break the inner race. The new one goes on pretty easy. In the end you may wish you paid someone to do it.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
The trouble with the dayum Tacama thing is you can't get to the daymn thing and it's that fucked up dual bearing assembly bullshit which is why it won't come off in the first place.
You have to yank the whole frigging knuckle off then wrestle with all that shit in the press, dust plate and all. It's a real purpose designed PITA it seems. I'd like to make the fuckin engineer who did that shit have to service Tacama wheel bearings for the rest of his miserable life. His own personal hell and the asshole would deserve every miserable second of it.

I'd much rather deal with a Dana axle when it comes to wheel bearings, which BTW you can get to so you can repack once in a blue moon. I'm still running the same bearings from the SAS but I do repack them every time I have the wheel off for some other bullshit. Which has been all too often it seems. I can do it in my sleep now and often have in my nightmares. LOL Not as often now that I got rid of that POS Electrac that I had, put the OX in it and started doing my own gear setups. But that's a whole nuter can o worms.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, maybe I'll just look for a set of spare spindles and swap those in instead :banghead:

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
You want the knucles. The spindle is the part the bearing presses on too but it in turn fits the knucle and can't be seperated without taking off the bearings first.
I know, just use this as your good excuse to swap the damn thing and get it all over with at once. You know you want to and will someday anyway so just wade in and get to it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have two third gen 4runners im sure I will have to tackle this at some point also. I have access to a press big enough to go it if you still need that at some point. I will be watching this thread to see how it goes either way.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You want the knucles. The spindle is the part the bearing presses on too but it in turn fits the knucle and can't be seperated without taking off the bearings first.
That is what I meant. Already found a few manual hub knuckle assemblies locally, but nothing for ADD so far..

I know, just use this as your good excuse to swap the damn thing and get it all over with at once. You know you want to and will someday anyway so just wade in and get to it.
I already have a solid axle truck that sits around, just like yours :flipoff4:

I have two third gen 4runners im sure I will have to tackle this at some point also. I have access to a press big enough to go it if you still need that at some point. I will be watching this thread to see how it goes either way.
My current plan is to pick up another set of knuckles to rebuild, so that I am not stuck w/o my truck if something goes awry with the bearing swap.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Just go with the manual hub knuckles and call it good just so long as you get the hubs to go with. Everything else that you have on the ADD will work, diff etc.
I forget for sure but I think the axles are the same too. Just the spindles differ between manual hub and ADD and the hubs of course but I'm pretty sure they are the same.

For no more often than they go out, I don't think it's worth have spares laying around gathering dust and you barking your shins on for all that long. The truck will probably be dead by then anyway.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ADD axles are not at all the same as the manual hub axles, and I have like 4 spares, so that's a NO..

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I've read, manual hub trucks never came with ABS, so still a no-go on using those knuckles..

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
From what I've read, manual hub trucks never came with ABS, so still a no-go on using those knuckles..
Yeah, I just went through this on the D-cab, which sits at 194,000 on the odo and the driver's side finally needed some work. For those who don't know, its an ABS truck (2003 Prerunner converted to 4wd, manual hub not ADD), which had working ABS both prior to and since the conversion, and now has a non-abs knuckle/spindle because I already had one for a non ABS truck from the salvage yard which was a spare that I got for cheap.

So now I have an ABS light on the dash as a result. But so what. The bearings are good and the brakes work just fine, actually I prefer how they function now better - and it was very affordable and an easy fix - no press work. I never liked the ABS action of rapidly locking and releasing the front tires under moderately hard braking anyway. It happened somewhat predictably but always under moderately hard braking, and when it happened, I learned to ease up on the pedal to make it stop anyway. It is a lot easier to "feel" and control when the tires lock up now, as opposed to the lock, release, lock, release of ABS. It taught me to brake a tad bit sooner to avoid the ABS engaging as often as I could, so I guess that could be seen as a good thing. But other than that, the lock, release thing has always seemed more of a malfunction that a useful function to me.

Now I don't have to worry about it. Its not like I live in snow country and drive the thing on slippery roads all the time where I might be inclined to think ABS is a good thing... Maybe on a new sports car with a more sophisticated ABS system its a great thing to have, but on my Taco not so much. Effectively disabing the ABS system when the salvaged knuckle and spindle went on the rig has made the braking a lot better IMO. Those stupid front tires used to lock and let go, lock and let go repeatedly under moderately hard braking, and it was actually more dangerous than if it just locks and stays locked up until I let up on the pressure on the fat pedal. Its more predictable now, doesn't lock up the tires nearly as easily, and doesn't do the shuttering lock then release thing over and over, ad nauseum. The dash light is a little annoying, but I like how my truck brakes a lot better without ABS, FWIW.

Just my :2cents:

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I think a lot of high end 4X4's and a switch to trun ABS off for off road. There are a lot of situations off road where ABS can get you into a lot of trouble if not dead.

Yeah, I just went through this on the D-cab, which sits at 194,000 on the odo and the driver's side finally needed some work. For those who don't know, its an ABS truck (2003 Prerunner converted to 4wd, manual hub not ADD), which had working ABS both prior to and since the conversion, and now has a non-abs knuckle/spindle because I already had one for a non ABS truck from the salvage yard which was a spare that I got for cheap.

So now I have an ABS light on the dash as a result. But so what. The bearings are good and the brakes work just fine, actually I prefer how they function now better - and it was very affordable and an easy fix - no press work. I never liked the ABS action of rapidly locking and releasing the front tires under moderately hard braking anyway. It happened somewhat predictably but always under moderately hard braking, and when it happened, I learned to ease up on the pedal to make it stop anyway. It is a lot easier to "feel" and control when the tires lock up now, as opposed to the lock, release, lock, release of ABS. It taught me to brake a tad bit sooner to avoid the ABS engaging as often as I could, so I guess that could be seen as a good thing. But other than that, the lock, release thing has always seemed more of a malfunction that a useful function to me.

Now I don't have to worry about it. Its not like I live in snow country and drive the thing on slippery roads all the time where I might be inclined to think ABS is a good thing... Maybe on a new sports car with a more sophisticated ABS system its a great thing to have, but on my Taco not so much. Effectively disabing the ABS system when the salvaged knuckle and spindle went on the rig has made the braking a lot better IMO. Those stupid front tires used to lock and let go, lock and let go repeatedly under moderately hard braking, and it was actually more dangerous than if it just locks and stays locked up until I let up on the pressure on the fat pedal. Its more predictable now, doesn't lock up the tires nearly as easily, and doesn't do the shuttering lock then release thing over and over, ad nauseum. The dash light is a little annoying, but I like how my truck brakes a lot better without ABS, FWIW.

Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just picked up a pair of ADD + ABS knuckles for $50, so no need for a press and all that BS :)

As far as ABS goes, I've never had an issue with it activating too early on pavement, and it really does help in an emergency handling situation, so I prefer to keep it on the truck.

Its not like I live in snow country and drive the thing on slippery roads all the time where I might be inclined to think ABS is a good thing...

Riiiiight :lmao:

·
Registered
64 Posts
i cringed at the end of the video while he started turning at the end of the snow. looks like i'm buying a tacoma today so my 81 will be getting parted out. its going to be sad day to see it go being my first truck but the tacoma should be more useful to me.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I thought you might throw that vid out there... but hey, I didn't say I never drive it in the snow, just that I don't live there. As you can see from the video, once the tires locked, they just stayed locked up until I let off on the brake anyway... lotta good ABS did me there... it didn't even engage! :rolleyes: Since you posted that up and got me thinking about it... is another Moab snow trip still on the back burner? :xozzy:

That shit is too much fun! Snow bashing in our older crawlers out in Area BFE this winter? Hmmm, ...very tempting! :cool:

:)

Riiiiight :lmao:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you had it in 4LO there the ABS would have been off anyways.

As far as Moab winter trip, I'm down, but I'll bring the Taco, the '82 will be nowhere near ready..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
7 Participants
007max
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing