TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post about checking your front wheel bearings. It said to try and wobble the wheel from 12 to 6 o-clock. Will the wobble be easy to notice? I could not tell any wobble. My truck has 130000 miles on it and I have been in mud and water above the tire quite a few times. The grease in the bearings is a light grey color but no sign of contamination. I was debating on taking the whole assembly off and having someone press out the bearing and pack it for me. A new bearing is 80 bucks at autozone. Is it nearly impossible to get the bearing out? I guess my question is what would yall reccmoned doing?

Thanks
Craig

97 4x4 2.7, auto manual hubs.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
I read a post about checking your front wheel bearings. It said to try and wobble the wheel from 12 to 6 o-clock. Will the wobble be easy to notice? I could not tell any wobble. My truck has 130000 miles on it and I have been in mud and water above the tire quite a few times. The grease in the bearings is a light grey color but no sign of contamination. I was debating on taking the whole assembly off and having someone press out the bearing and pack it for me. A new bearing is 80 bucks at autozone. Is it nearly impossible to get the bearing out? I guess my question is what would yall reccmoned doing?

Thanks
Craig

97 4x4 2.7, auto manual hubs.
The bearings are sealed and you will destroy them when you replace them. It is a huge pain to replace them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here I am 5 years later on the passenger side. Does anybody have a good write-up on how to change out the wheel bearing. I have 170K on them right now and have everything apart.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hand the spindle to the man at the shop and say "make this better". Then pay the man, and reinstall.

Really that is the easiest (and basically only) way.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I agree, my brother works at a camshaft machine shop but I am not feeling very good about him giving it a shot lol (already have had a little boo boo on some control arm bushings).

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I also took it off and took it to my friends shop. 30 bucks... later all better. Don't go to Pepboys... They can do it but they are retarded.. My Toyota Dealer wouldn't press them in for me with it off the truck.. Wanted $400 dollars for me to put it back on the truck and drive it it for them..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts