TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
When that happens, the cam shaft will always turn towards the direction of the tensioner. You need to turn it back counter clockwise looking at it from the front of the truck; it usually only turns off one tooth.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
what happened said:
ok will do thanks for the help also is there any way that i can check it???? to make sure it is right???
Start the truck.

If it doesnt turn over than you fucked up.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
hawaiianbro said:
Start the truck.

If it doesnt turn over than you fucked up.
lol that or the large bang as the pistons hit the valves lol

·
Registered
772 Posts
tacotoy said:
lol that or the large bang as the pistons hit the valves lol
The pistons won't slap the valves on a 3.4. It's a non-inteference motor.

Also, as the others mentioned - Just turn it back counter clockwise. If you do this by hand don't let the cam gear bite you! Once the cam get's to a certain spot it will jump hard due to the compression of the motor.

The samething happened to me when I did my timing belt. I had problems getting the new belt on and ended up bumping the right cam gear a tooth or two off. It's really not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
what happened said:
ok will do thanks for the help also is there any way that i can check it???? to make sure it is right???
Just line up the marks on the belt with the marks on the cam pulley.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
772 Posts
Mike said:
Just line up the marks on the belt with the marks on the cam pulley.

Later,
....Mike

I never did get the marks on the timing belt to line up with the cam gear marks like in your picture. I would get the top 2 cam gears lined up and then the crank line would be off. I gave up figuring the belt was slightly mismarked. The timing is perfect so I guess the marks are just for reference.

·
Registered
584 Posts
KANEMAN23 said:
I never did get the marks on the timing belt to line up with the cam gear marks like in your picture. I would get the top 2 cam gears lined up and then the crank line would be off. I gave up figuring the belt was slightly mismarked. The timing is perfect so I guess the marks are just for reference.
My guess is you put the belt on backwards. If you put the L-CAM mark on the pulley on your left as you look from the front, the crank mark will not line up. You have to put it on as shown in the pic from the trucks perspective,not yours. It makes no difference on the belt wich way it is rotated from new. It would only matter if you were putting the old one back on and flipped it around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
11 Participants
VF'N8
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing