TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first-- I have a 2000 4X4 Tacoma 3.4 S/C 5 spd with URD. I have a 2 1/2 in lift with 32's, dual exhaust, 41500 miles, deckplate mod, and live in AK. My fuel economy is getting worse by the day. It started after installing the URD kit this last summer. I almost NEVER go into boost, I have a very light foot, never go abover 3000 rpms, I use only Chevron gas, I replaced the fuel filter, never had a check engine light, and cleaned the MAF---this last tank I got 184 miles to an almost empty tank----frikin horrible--mine as well drive a damn hummer. Can anyone think of whats going on? I have not tuned the vehicle yet---hopefully soon. I am running the settings gadget sent with the R4 software. I dont have any ping but maybe its running a little rich? Thanks for any help---Dave

PS Can anyone send me a copy of the R4 software disk or post it for a download--I lost mine and I got a new computer after my last one fried. I would pay to ship it up here.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Its a wild guess but ur o2 sensor could be shot?

·
Registered
731 Posts
scroder said:
Can anyone think of whats going on? I have not tuned the vehicle yet---hopefully soon. I am running the settings gadget sent with the R4 software. I dont have any ping but maybe its running a little rich? Thanks for any help---Dave
Dave, I think you answered your own question. You haven't tuned yet. Get that kit tuned properly and you will probably see better gas mileage. After tuning mine I get 21 MPG. I can't believe you have had the fuel kit that long without tuning. The base map loaded on the FTC is just a place to start from not to run forever with.

Dave

·
609 Posts
Scroder-If you pay for my gas I would love to drive up there and tune it for you! Just for fun, hook up a scan tool and see what your fuel trim values are. The ECU can only happily compensate +/- 17%.

·
Registered
731 Posts
wisctaco04 said:
Scroder-If you pay for my gas I would love to drive up there and tune it for you! Just for fun, hook up a scan tool and see what your fuel trim values are. The ECU can only happily compensate +/- 17%.
Hey Matt. Haven't seen seen you on the boards lately. Not a bad idea! You could be a roving tuner!

Dave

·
609 Posts
TRDOLMAN said:
Hey Matt. Haven't seen seen you on the boards lately. Not a bad idea! You could be a roving tuner!

Dave
Been kinda busy. I would do the tuner thing if it meant warmer climates. Maybe someone from the Carribean needs help. Anyone?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help---I didnt think tuning it would make that much of a different---anyone else think the O2 sensor? Also, anyone got that R4 CD for me--Ill pay ya----Dave

·
Registered
731 Posts
scroder said:
Thanks for the help---I didnt think tuning it would make that much of a different---anyone else think the O2 sensor? Also, anyone got that R4 CD for me--Ill pay ya----Dave
Drop Brian at URD an E-mail. He should be able to get you a replacement R4 CD. Yes tuning makes all the difference in the world. Before you go changing expensive O2 sensors just give it a try. Use a scan tool like Matt said and see where your fuel trims are. You don't have to go into boost for your fuel mileage to suck if your trims are way out of whack.

Dave

·
Registered
731 Posts
mycirus said:
I thought you didnt need the deckplate mod with supercharger. Should I do this to mine?
You don't---usually. Usually do the elbow mod or the deckplate. I did both. I have just about every performance mod done to my engine. I had done the elbow but on a dyno run I made a month or so ago, just for grins, I opened the top to my airbox. I made the run and picked up 3 HP. Big deal I know but what the hell. I did the deckplate too. For 8 bucks and 20 minutes time I picked up a few cheap ponys.

Dave

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill take you up on your offer--I will pay all GAS BILLS from cheese head country to AK---Dave

·
609 Posts
scroder said:
Ill take you up on your offer--I will pay all GAS BILLS from cheese head country to AK---Dave
HOLY CRAP! THAT IS NOT EVEN FUNNY! I will be on the road in 2 days!..... I would love to blow off my other 2 weeks of trips this spring and haul azz to Alaska. I have always wanted to see the "country". I'm afaid I can't do it till fall. If you don't have 'er tuned by then hit me up and I might just drive up! I wouldn't feel right about making a fella pay for my SC'd lead foot though. If you had a shower for me and a few trail maps to use I would gladly spend a day tune it proper. Hell, find me an EMT job and I'll even be you new best Tacoma friend. I would love to leave the land of beer, brats, and cheese for some new scenery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts