TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace the fuel filter on my 97 with the 3.4L. I found a nice easy write up on this site on how to do it. The only problem is, the fuel relay that is suppose to be under the dash, is not there???? I even took the lower section of the dash out and still, I could not locate it. Maybe the write up shows it for a newer version of this truck. Can someone direct me on the proper location? Also, how much fuel should I expect to loose doing this? I tried to replace without disconnecting the relay, but the gas just kept coming and coming......... I've replaced fuel pumps and internal filters on other rigs I've owned and none of them had so much gas in the line. Also, what's odd is that in my other EFI rigs, there has always been a pressure releasing valve on the fuel rail in the engine bay. Someone please help, I know I need this replaced and I don't want to pay some other mech to do it!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi there. When I did my fuel filter on my 99 3.4 I just put a rag around the fitting with my line wrench as I loosened it. Whatever is in the fuel line as well as the filter is pretty much all you will loose. I read that big write up as well and just decided to do it the most logical way with time in mind. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh, well that's what I started doing but then I had lost so much fuel and it was not stopping so I thought I'd better stop. Guess I will just yank it and deal with the loss....Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Think about siphoning gas. The opening is lower than the fuel...

So when you remove the filter, you are siphoning the fuel. If you want to prevent this, You could probably pull the fuel line out at the tank and stick a golf tee in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts