TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on the numerous "Fuel System Additives" on the market today. Are they worth anything? My friend swears by the Prestone Complete Fuel System Cleaner (for use every 4,000 miles). I am coming up on 6k miles for my '04 V-6 4x4 and was wondering about it...Is it worth the 4-5 bucks? Could it actually do harm to my beloved Taco? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
I avoid harch solvents. This is what I have been using, it is a mild fuel system cleaner you use in every tank. Very inexpensive and in some cases it pays for itself in fuel savings. http://www.lubecontrol.com/fuel.htm I am just a costumer and this is not snake oil.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
only 6k on your 04? i'm at almost 35k...seafoam is good stuff and the prestone stuff is ok...i dont like using additives too often as they can cause problems if you overuse them

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hum....

This isnt on my taco but for my camry... But i thought you guys might know... Ive put fuel additives in it every 4-5k miles since it hit 60k miles its at 85k and its a 94 v6le... Ive put the same stuff in it and the same middle grade fuel from shell but after the last bottle of additive i put in it is acting up! Some times it will start up just fine other times it takes for ever to start and Im affraid im going to blow the starter if it keeps up... once it is started it will kick & bang for a few sec. then purrs like a kitty... im wondering if i got a bad bottle of additive... Any one know? what should I do? :confused:

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
FortPieToyo said:
Just curious on the numerous "Fuel System Additives" on the market today. Are they worth anything? My friend swears by the Prestone Complete Fuel System Cleaner (for use every 4,000 miles). I am coming up on 6k miles for my '04 V-6 4x4 and was wondering about it...Is it worth the 4-5 bucks? Could it actually do harm to my beloved Taco? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
You wont cause any harm. I use either chevron with the techron additive or redline fuel system cleaner everytime i get my oil changed and now i almost have 45K with no problems at all. Its when you never use it then all the sudden you decide to use it that seems to fawk chit up. My girlfriends acura had 125K without using anything till i used some of the techron stuff and her car ran pretty rough. Use it offten and in the future you shouldnt have any problems.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have been using Lucas fuel treatment for a while now with no problems. Gas mileage has never been poor just like to use it for peace of mind. Comes in large jugs too so it last you a while. Really thick stuff too so I usually go about 4 months between treatments. I recommend this.

Sam

·
Registered
13 Posts
I travel from Washington to Salem Oregon (about 220 miles one way) about 2 or 3 times a month. I have a 2.7 with 33's and found that 104+ Import Formula has worked well for a little extra power and ecceleration. I throw it in every time I go and it only cost about $5

My 2 cents

Cloudy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts