TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fuel system cleanings
im not talking about pouring a bottle of gumout or stp or seafoam in your gas tank. im talking an actual fuel system cleaning where you clean your throttle body, plug a IV bottle to a vacuum line and let your engine soak up the cleaner to clean all the carbon build up around your injectors, valves, intake manifold, and on your piston.
y do i need this done you say?
A. fuel economy. as fuel is sprayed from your injectors it mixes with the air in the intake manifold entering the combustion chamber. let back up to the injectors the spay pattern is important to how the fuel atomizes if the injector is built up with carbon it will not atomize properly in turn will not fully combust in turn unburnt fuel is dumped down the exhaust and can not only damage your cats but is a waste of fuel. ok now back to the intake manifold, carbon is like a sponge it soaks up fuel, fuel that is percisely measured to enter the cylinder. so the more that is soaked up by the carbon, the less that is going in to the cylinder.
B. drivability and loss of power, if carbon can build up in the intake manifold it can build up on the valves, causing them to not fully seat and allowing your combustion to leak out the exhaust or intake. this could also be a cause of misfire or weak cylinder. carbon also builds up on the piston, this can cause hotspots that can preignite the air fuel mixture causing alot of damage to and lowering the life of your engine
ways to prevent this? well some gas stations add additives to help but these are the expensive ones, or every 20k to 25k miles take your rig to a shop to get it done. its worth it especially if your rig is a daily driver like mine is.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Which vacume line should I use on the 3vz? Its an 88 4Runner with 320k. I cleaned out the throttle body but the inside of the m intake manifold looks like an Exon spill. Should I just remove the maniflod and clean it as well as adjusting the valves?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Believe it or not....

A spray bottle with water sprayed sparingly into the intake while running will cause the carbon buildup to break apart on valves ports and and pistons. Of course the usual sprays will clean the buildup/residues in the intake.

I don't know if they still do this but for a nominal price you can have your local oil change shop run their product through your system to clean up the system with an inert chemical. This will bust up the carbon build up in the same manner described above. I used to charge about $60.00 bucks at my shop to do this. It is better than the water bottle method since it does not vaporize like the water does and since it is an inert chemical it will not ignite in the chamber.

Even Walmart did this for you when I managed one of their tire stores, I imagine they still do. My shop was Valvoline and I expect that they too still do this.

·
Registered
448 Posts
What was the chemical?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Solvent Naptha 64742-89-8 >=60-<70%
Cyclohexanone 108-94-1 >=10-<15%
Diethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether 112-34-5 >=10-<15%
Methyl-N 2-Pyrrolidone 872-50-4 >=5-<10%
Xylene 1330-20-7 >=1.5-<5%
Ethyl Benzene 100-41-4 >=1-<1.5%

It is slowly dripped into the system while your vehicle is running in a I.V. manner through a vacuum line. Unlike other similar systems it creates no smoke and does not damage the CAT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Rocksurfer
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing