TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I searched a bunch but I'm a bit confused at the moment. Since I've owned the truck(96 Taco ext) the rear of the fuel tank has been supported by generic metal strapping over the skid guard(I know I know...). I was forever planning to fix it properly(like everything) but she decided that I needed to do it now. It snapped. I ratchet strapped it back up so I could make the short distance home, but now I want to fix it with the real parts, unlike the PO. The problem is I can't find the original part anywhere online. And I don't know what the originals really are supposed to look like.

I guess my question is, are the straps for the standard cab and ext different? I found these, More Information for SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT ST313 - they say standard cab, but then other places list the ST313 for the extended as well, but I'm pretty sure there is only one strap on the truck originally.

Anyone have a part NO. for the strap? I would consider getting a new skid plate as well if the price is right. My understanding is the skid plate is supposed to be able to be removed while leaving the tank up in place, right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, it looks like the two strap version is for the reg cab, but one of the straps works for the extended cab? That is weird. I'm going to go out on the limb and order it because its only $75 and I think I can make it work either way, then I can report for everyone else.

SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT ST313 {#7760135040, 7760335020} Set

Yeah, "Set and 77603-35050" shows that it comes with two straps but the extended cab only needs one. That is weird that they won't sell the single one.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
would think a wrecking yard would have those. yard in American Canyon near me has a bunch of early Tacomas (I just picked up a tailgate from them)
pacificautosalvage.com

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would think a wrecking yard would have those. yard in American Canyon near me has a bunch of early Tacomas (I just picked up a tailgate from them)
pacificautosalvage.com
Yards where I live rarely ever have Tacomas, if ever. I know of one that has a few but its like 6 hours from me. haha

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got the package, for those wondering heres what comes in it.

The long strap works for ext cab. The other is just extra. Not bad for $75

I installed it. I still need to put a piece of rubber in there to protect the tank a bit but it should be fine for now. I coated it in rubberized rocker panel stuff.

Frame is pretty rusted here. Kind of concerning. I will have to fix when I don't have a full tank of gas. I don't want to drop a full tank and I don't want to weld stuff with the tank right there.. Didn't see any issues with the frame until I stuck the impact on that bolt and all hell broke loose. Weird because the rest of the frame is solid. Damn..

No offroading for awhile...

Anyone have a tank guard? I guess I could fix this one up a bit with some metal.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts

Frame is pretty rusted here. Kind of concerning.
Uh...kind of concerning? wow...
I wouldn't put gas in that tank or even drive the truck until that was fixed.:surprise:

·
Registered
34 Posts
You got ta suck it up and fix it right! Think how totally f*cked it would be out in a tight rock farm far from pavement and it falls apart and they need to get you out. It is getting late with weather coming out. Your buddies wife is all over his butt because they left their kids with baby sitter grandma who is two hours late to play Bingo because you did not get it done right when you took a short cut not to fix your ride. But hey,do what you want.

·
Registered
153 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ Right on, right down to the baby sitter grandma... !

And what's with the two bolts (shown in photos 2 and 3) that are not doing anything at all? Maybe something else not in the photos goes there?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You got ta suck it up and fix it right! Think how totally f*cked it would be out in a tight rock farm far from pavement and it falls apart and they need to get you out. It is getting late with weather coming out. Your buddies wife is all over his butt because they left their kids with baby sitter grandma who is two hours late to play Bingo because you did not get it done right when you took a short cut not to fix your ride. But hey,do what you want.
You guys realize the other strap broke already right? I survived Haha. But hey I completely agree it needs to be fixed correctly, but its not going to fall off tomorrow. Maybe this weekend. :grin2: I put a backup strap thats bolted to another location as a "just in case". Dropping a full tank isn't fun, it will definitely hold until this tank is empty.

I just moved and my workshop is all out of sorts, I won't be doing any rock farm adventures for awhile. I don't even know where they are! (new city)

^^^^^^^^^ Right on, right down to the baby sitter grandma... !

And what's with the two bolts (shown in photos 2 and 3) that are not doing anything at all? Maybe something else not in the photos goes there?
Re: The last two photos. Those two bolts hold the rock guard on, which is not installed currently due to the state of the guard - rust holes. Which is why I said no offroadin' for awhile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts