TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I have seen some people line-x there trucks and what not but, I have some question to that.

1. Will it prevent the truck from rusting? (Just wondering )
2. Is it worth it to line-x the full body of the truck (Tacoma 2005+ Models)
3. What are the benefits to doing this?
4. how much weight would it add?
5. Would it hold up to some light to heave wheeling?

I ask this because i live in Kentucky and the trails here are very tight meaning low hanging branches and limbs, overgrown brush and stuff and low lying limbs that grow out and over not up:D. It makes it very hard to do any sort of wheeling around here. ( I know ill get it all scratched up but this is just a thought and Im curious to see what you all think )

Any pics would be nice to or any other thoughts are also welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I was at a race I saw a truck that was all line-x'd. Looked good and not a bad idea. I got my whole truck painted about a year ago and already I have some bad chips from rocks and scratches from branches and what not. Don't know what the effects would be or how much weight it would add..

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
1.) NO, rust forms from underneath the truck, and at seams.
2.) NO, it will absolutely destroy the resale value of the truck
3.) There are no benefits
4.) Quite a bit, 400lbs or so
5.) Yes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I used Raptor lined (polyurethane) also has UV protectent in it.
2000 ex tacoma did the whole thing. They have a tintable version i was trying to make it dark charcoal but the guy messed up on the tint so it is black with some green metalic in it. it has been about six months and it definatly isn't as shiney as when i first did it but it hasn't changed to the chalky look that some do.

I really don't see it adding to much weight. the product weighed under ten pounds with the full kit.
it takes a little while to fully cure, i was a little worried i could push my finger nail into it even after 2 weeks but about a month later it was tough as nails. I ran it through some low hanging tree branchs and couldn't see any damage at all.
one bad thing about the line x is if you get a dent, it is a real pain to get it fixed.
the raptor lined is suposed to be like paint and you should be able to sand it and then fill the dent and respray the panel with more raptor line. haven't had to do it yet.
hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help and i like your tacoam too. so now i don't no if i should or should not get it done there are not much benefits but then a gain it might turn out good like (SchrammMan74 ) I Just don't Know.:eek:

·
Registered
198 Posts
thanks for the help and i like your tacoam too. so now i don't no if i should or should not get it done there are not much benefits but then a gain it might turn out good like (SchrammMan74 ) I Just don't Know.:eek:
Are you gonna do it yourself or bring it to a shop to get it done?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I forgot to add that i sprayed this myself.. it is very easy and the kit can be found on ebay for $100 that is with the gun to spray it and material.. also my truck was totaled when i bought it. it had been rolled over. a light roll but it got about every body panel. I did a lot of body work and got it really straight but it wasn't perfect. the raptor liner helped hide a lot of the little waves and dings in the body and really made the truck look great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think if i got it done i would do the line-x and take it to a dealer. but if i can find a product as strong as line-x i would consider it i am doing research on the two that were posted to see how the product holds up over time and what not.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
There's an F350 at my school that got it done when I started (4 years ago) It was shiny then but now its faded to shit. Not a uniform fade either. Its splotchy and looks like it's got the mange. He had custom "for sale" decal made up for the back window about a year ago and I noticed he just took it off a few weeks ago. I'm guessing noone wanted to buy the POS.

It'll kill the resale.

I wouldn't do it.

That looks like pig shit...

·
Registered
104 Posts
HI I have seen some people line-x there trucks and what not but, I have some question to that.

1. LINE-X can delay or stop rust sometimes. But, sometimes, it can't stop rust at all. Depends on the situation.
2. Lots of people have had their vehicles totally LINE-X'd, so obviously it has value to some people.
3. Huge benefit for off-roaders.
4. I'd say about 240 to 260 pounds.
5. Absolutely!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
1. LINE-X can delay or stop rust sometimes. But, sometimes, it can't stop rust at all. Depends on the situation.
2. Lots of people have had their vehicles totally LINE-X'd, so obviously it has value to some people.
5. Absolutely!

This looks awesome. I would like to see the updated version (fade, splotchy) Looks way better than that Herculiner version above. I would never Herculiner a truck especially the 05+ unless it looked worse than that to begin with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
5. Absolutely!

Wow, that really looks good. If you dont mind me askin, how much did it cost you to spray your whole truck? What does it normally cost to just do the bed?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
This looks awesome. I would like to see the updated version (fade, splotchy) Looks way better than that Herculiner version above. I would never Herculiner a truck especially the 05+ unless it looked worse than that to begin with.
It'll be cute when it turns pink. I kind of like how my haggard ass truck looks, and I don't flinch crashing through creasote brush anymore. My truck is pretty much destroyed anyway, I could see how most guys wouldn't do it. There's no way that linex added that much weight unless you used 25+ gallons on it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
There's no way that linex added that much weight unless you used 25+ gallons on it.
Yeah I don't get how these guys are figuring so much weight. My buddy has had his boat trailer and the bed of his truck done with linex for ten plus years. The bed is faded from dragging shit in and out as you might expect. The boat trailer sits in the sun while the boat is in the water(May-November) and looks great. You can tell it is slightly sun faded but its even and still looks great after ten years.

·
Registered
615 Posts
There's an F350 at my school that got it done when I started (4 years ago) It was shiny then but now its faded to shit. Not a uniform fade either. Its splotchy and looks like it's got the mange. He had custom "for sale" decal made up for the back window about a year ago and I noticed he just took it off a few weeks ago. I'm guessing noone wanted to buy the POS.

It'll kill the resale.

I wouldn't do it.

That looks like pig shit...

hahah it looks fuzzy like a worn tennis ball :lmao:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
hahah it looks fuzzy like a worn tennis ball :lmao:
More of a black velour finish :) I'm not sure how they are figuring that much weight either, but i'm pretty sure cruizin does line-x for a living from what a remember, so i'd believe him. And I do know line-x is sprayed on with a huge gun, not some little paint sprayer, so I don't doubt the volume coming out of it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
ive sprayed several beds and other various parts when i worked in a body shop and i can say for sure that the 2 part professional stuff adds weight. id go through a large drum (55 gallons?) of each product in about 25-30 beds. and it was stupid expensive. we only made a good profit if i did one coat then the texture coat. kinda like the red truck i guess. if you wanted it to be 1/4'' thick id bet it would add close to 200 pounds to a truck. its heavy material.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts