TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, run the air locker (mine's ARB) with no compressor or extra wiring. Got the idea from a guy with a Samuri. Really small vehicle that he wanted to minimize weight and space taken. He was running both lockers off a 9oz paintball Co2 tank and an in-line 3-way pneumatic switch. The switch is normally off, flip it on and your locked, flip it off and it closes the valve and bleeds off line pressure. I regretfully didn't get any part #s from him but it seemed simple enough.

I've searched and searched and come up with nothing besides people claiming to have a setup, no pics or part #s or instructions.

I'm doing this on a budget as most do. ARB locker has been installed and working for a year now but I've recently ditched the compressor for a Power Tank. I want a separate small tank that I can fasten to my roll bar for the locker. Fully pneumatic is just so much more reliable, compact, light and quiet.

Here's what I "think" I need...

9oz Paintball tank $20

5-125psi Regulator kit w/20oz bottle $100 (much rather something cheaper and don't need the hose or big bottle) they don't sell the regulator alone

3-way pneumatic switch $60 (ordered)

I'm holding off on the regulator kit to see if perhaps you guys can help me out. I am pretty firm on using the more compact 9oz bottle. Just need a regulator to go from that to 1/4 NPT then the ARB blue line.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Compressor took over an hour to fill 4 tires from 4-40psi vs under 10min with the Power Tank. And I returned it putting the $65 toward the Power Tank.

I know it's been done... that's why I'm asking for some help like finding a good regulator.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I put electrified OXs in mine and don't need no air or CO2.

Besides that CO2 will draw every skeeter in the area. Everyone I know who runs CO2 is almost most always out of gas and asking for air when it's time to air up.
Plus those air lockers are prone to have nastsy things happen and leave you without a locker on the trail. I've seen it too many times so know it's true no matter how many time ARB says they've been fixed.

Nice but still a second choice for me if ARB is the only choice avaliable for a select locker.

Compressor took over an hour to fill 4 tires from 4-40psi vs under 10min with the Power Tank. And I returned it putting the $65 toward the Power Tank.

I know it's been done... that's why I'm asking for some help like finding a good regulator.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear e-locker is my go-to before I ever even attempt 4x4. I've used the front locker maybe 3times. This isn't a race rig, it's my daily driver trail slut. I hope this works out. Never hurts to try new things.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
You should learn to drive on the trails and develop your skills first then starting getting what you need to progress. This ain't no video game.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
The front of my rig has a lockright. Youd be surprised at how much a front locker works better than a rear. Easier to pull than push

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should learn to drive on the trails and develop your skills first then starting getting what you need to progress. This ain't no video game.
No expert here Dick, but I have learned how to improve my rig by bashing and modifying. It's a daily driver that I'm not scared to take to the Rubicon or Fordyce. I'm open to all info and opinions man. That's the only way to reduce trial/error and end up with success. But as an experienced wheeler, you know there are just some thing you have to try for yourself.:saw::welder:repeat ...

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Yeah for trails like that a rear locker is good to have if not mandantory. That is unless you have a good winch and really enjoy using it. I'm just too old and lazy now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts