TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what it is, but it sounds kinda like a pully or something is taking a crap on me. I got into some deep water at spring creek and now it sounds kinda like a shhhhhhhhhhhh and rattle sound. I checked for a plate rattling or something and checked the air filter and such for water, nothing. All looks well but it is pretty noticeable to me and kinda alarms me. Guess the dealer is next. Anyone have something like this happen?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea... i was kinda thinking some grit or something may be involved. I will post up what ever comes out of this situation.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If it sounds like a plate rattling it could be a heat shield underneath, either it's loose or something is jammed in it. Just an idea. Idler pulley is another possibility.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking about just taking the serp belt of and spinning the pullies and maybe i can localize the problem. Any taco folks with the 4.0 v6 having this problem?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
You can use a wooden broomstick like a stethoscope.

Just take the end with no straw on it and touch it to the stationary bolt that runs through the pulley and put your ear next to the wood. Do this with the engine idling, of course.

It will transmit sound.

You will find the problem quickly and easily. Move around and listen to all the pulleys. The loudest one is the one with the problem. The second loudest one might be thinking about going bad soon.

If the pulley in question doesn't have a stationary bolt in the center (Like your alternator or AC compressor) touch the housing with the wood and listen.

Don't touch any moving parts!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the same problem, I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it looked at but I'm pretty sure that it's my alternator. I'll let you know for sure once I get the diagnosis. I used my whole 27" of water depth...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same problem, I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it looked at but I'm pretty sure that it's my alternator. I'll let you know for sure once I get the diagnosis. I used my whole 27" of water depth...
LMFAO! Yes i too used all 27" of approved depth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts