TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
thought some of you would like to see this. fuse box and relay box's new location. the wire loom isn't finished yet. i decided i didn't like the wrap style so i'm going to figure out something else. plus i have to shorten some of the wires. with some small modifacations and re-arrangining the wire bundle in the relay box i can fit 3 more 30 amp relays in it.

ohh......................... happy turky day

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
851 Posts
Josh, that's a pretty nice setup! Just wondered what the dimensions were on the bracket you used to mount it. And what sort of box that is you're using for the relays. Water-/weatherproof? Thanks!

-Radar

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Josh, that's a pretty nice setup! Just wondered what the dimensions were on the bracket you used to mount it. And what sort of box that is you're using for the relays. Water-/weatherproof?
Thanks!
1) what were the diminsions of the mounting bracket (assuming you made it yourself... if not, where'd you get it?)

2) what kind of box is that for the relays?

3) what size wire did you run from the battery to the fuse block?

4) did you use an in-line breaker or fuse between the battery and the block? If so, what size?

Thanks for the help! You've got a pretty nice set-up, and I was hoping to make something pretty similar, if possible.

Take care!
-Radar

-Radar

1. i'll have to get back to you on the dimensions. i had some left over scrap metal and nylon spacers. i really just made a plate big enogh for the wire loam, fuse block and relay block. i tried not to get crazy w/it because when i do more upgrades i'll come up w/a new and better design more than likely.
2. the relay box is some what weather proof for being an enclosed 2 piece box and under the hood but by no means is it water proof. i went to an electronics store and bought an electronics box and tailored it to my specs. there are hundreds to chose from once you can find a place that sells them. a few drill bits and grommets and you can make it any way you like. i brought relays w/me to see if they'd fit and went from there. i only have 2 in the box but have room for 4 maybe 5.
3. i used 1 6g 12'' long batery cable from checkers and 1 6g 18'' long cable from checkers auto. i think i spent like $4-$5 for each cable. i was going to make my own but it was cheaper for me to do it this way so i didn't have to buy a new crimper for 6g wire terminals. the terminal holes were a bit big but i made them work.
4. at the moment i don't have an inline breaker or fuse. just the individual fuses in the block. i will in the future though. i'm waiting till i can scrape up funds for a winch, amp and sub. i don't realy draw enough power at once to justify an inline fuse or breaker yet.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks a lot, Josh, for the answers. I just ordered that fuse box, and also ordered a 100A Blue Sea breaker. Hopefully, mine will turn out looking about half as nice and tidy as your set-up!

Thanks, again,
-Radar

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Holy Shitsticks Batman!

How did I miss this thread? This is exactly what I was looking to do under my hood. Thanks for the pretty pictures, that gives me a little direction now.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i posted these alond time ago. actually it was on thanksgiving.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sisyphus drinks in the morning

·
Registered
369 Posts
Great pics. What are the relays for (just wondering)
I have the same fuse box. I love it. I only have 3 filled right now, but plan to get atleast 50% filled soon w/ var mods

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Great pics. What are the relays for (just wondering)
I have the same fuse box. I love it. I only have 3 filled right now, but plan to get atleast 50% filled soon w/ var mods
relay box.
-6 fog lights. 3 per relay
fuse box
- 6 fog lights. 2 30a
- viar 480c 200psi 100% duty clycle comp. 25A
- viair 110/150 pressure swith w/built in relay. 15a
- 2 led switches 10a
- air horns. used oe fuse location

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Looks good. I would use split wireloom though, and cover all of the wiring.

And at relays I like to use fully insulated spade terminals. Just in case one spade comes loose and touches another terminal it won't short anything out.

the split is in work. the wrap is all i had at the time. i have more stuff to add soon and was planning on swapping the terminals then anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just received my fuse block also from Blue Sea by way of West Marine. I am going to be wiring up my new Icom V8000 radio, switch panel, and aux lighting harness to it as soon as I get some spare time. I found this handy chart for selecting wire guage based on amperage and length of wire. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
looks very nice. can i ask where you got the fuse holder from and where you got the relay box from? Did you just mount a piece of metal to the side and have the two sit on top of it?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks very nice. can i ask where you got the fuse holder from and where you got the relay box from? Did you just mount a piece of metal to the side and have the two sit on top of it?
- i got the blue sea fuse box on ebay for $35 delivered. they usually are 40-$50 for the type i got w/12 ground points.

- 1st find the relays you want to use, then go to an electronics store or hobby store and find one to fit your relays.

- i used original mount points on the r/fender w/some nylon spacers and a piece of 16g sheet metal cut and formed to what i needed.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I just received my fuse block also from Blue Sea by way of West Marine. I am going to be wiring up my new Icom V8000 radio, switch panel, and aux lighting harness to it as soon as I get some spare time. I found this handy chart for selecting wire guage based on amperage and length of wire. Hope it helps.

Is that gauge 1 way or round trip lenght? Most of them are round trip length, IIRC.. DC requires you to use both ways, where AC doesnt.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts