TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wanting to run all of the accessories (lights, cb, etc) to a fues box instead of running straight to the battery. There are too many wries going to the battery and there is no room for any more. What is a good water proof/resistant fuse box that will work. All I have to do to install one is to ground it and run the power to the battery, then run all the accessories to the fuse box, correct? Thanks.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
I am wanting to run all of the accessories (lights, cb, etc) to a fues box instead of running straight to the battery. There are too many wries going to the battery and there is no room for any more. What is a good water proof/resistant fuse box that will work. All I have to do to install one is to ground it and run the power to the battery, then run all the accessories to the fuse box, correct? Thanks.
http://www.wranglernw.com/
http://www.wranglernw.com/commerce/ItemDetail.asp?ItemNo=30-556-3/3
FUSE CTR ATO 6 SLOT / 30-556 is what I have, $24
they have all different kinds though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
fuse block

cooper4x4 said:
I am wanting to run all of the accessories (lights, cb, etc) to a fues box instead of running straight to the battery. There are too many wries going to the battery and there is no room for any more. What is a good water proof/resistant fuse box that will work. All I have to do to install one is to ground it and run the power to the battery, then run all the accessories to the fuse box, correct? Thanks.
well, if you wanted to, you could mount it in a remote location, like say in the storage bins and just run the wiring to the engine compartment. That, or you can always wrap that bitch in a baloon, lol!! Good luck, Wes
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
wslytoy said:
well, if you wanted to, you could mount it in a remote location, like say in the storage bins and just run the wiring to the engine compartment. That, or you can always wrap that bitch in a baloon, lol!! Good luck, Wes
I have my Cibies, 2 sets of rock lights, bed-bar/backup lights, ARB compressor on mine with one open circuit up to 80a total draw. you can get them for 12 or more circuits and more amperage draw. this one is technically not a 'waterproof' box but then neither is the main OE box ;) I have the aux board mounted up high on the firewall and If I get into water that deep the least of my worries will be that particular panel :p

that company does have waterproof aux boards and I've seen a couple of other 4wd sites that cater to extreme wheelers that have waterproof stuff for everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
I bought that thing you suggested as I too will have lots of things to be wired in teh future. So I jstu run power and a ground to that box and then jstu hook up my lights or whatever it may be into that and I am good to go? Does that thing hold the fuses as well? I am about as noob as can be when it comes to elecrical things. I can strip crimp and sauter just fine but when it comes to knowing how to wire things... no good.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
I bought that thing you suggested as I too will have lots of things to be wired in teh future. So I jstu run power and a ground to that box and then jstu hook up my lights or whatever it may be into that and I am good to go? Does that thing hold the fuses as well? I am about as noob as can be when it comes to elecrical things. I can strip crimp and sauter just fine but when it comes to knowing how to wire things... no good.
the panel comes with a diagram and instructions ;)
You just run the 6-8g wire (I forget which but the inst. will say) from the battery with an 80a inline fuse to the sub-panel. Make sure to use top quality shielded wire for this! I even wrapped mine with that plastic wire tube stuff for ins. This gives you 6 (or whatever size you got) 'hot' leads to power lights, etc just as if you had hooked them up directly to the battery. you now hook those leads directly to the new sub-panel instead. Whatever you hook up will use a ground wire to the body/frame. Each aux item you hook up will need a relay like any other.

you will have to provide your own fuses or mini breakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
What kind of relay do I need for hooking up the lights for my bed bar and extra driving lights? I would ask teh guys a pep boys but they don't always seem to know what they are talking about.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
What kind of relay do I need for hooking up the lights for my bed bar and extra driving lights? I would ask teh guys a pep boys but they don't always seem to know what they are talking about.
30a relay for each pr of 55-100w lights. you can run one 30 with 3-55s but it might heat up and shut down if the lights are on for long periods.

you should be able to find them with the aux lighting stuff at any parts store.

someone posted a link to an online source but I don't remember what thread
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
A few more qick uestions... does each light get its own lead? and what size fuse should I use in teh sub box for the 55 watt lights?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
I am wanting to run all of the accessories (lights, cb, etc) to a fues box instead of running straight to the battery. There are too many wries going to the battery and there is no room for any more. What is a good water proof/resistant fuse box that will work. All I have to do to install one is to ground it and run the power to the battery, then run all the accessories to the fuse box, correct? Thanks.
Brad, I have a Painless Wiring Aux. Fuse Block that I got from Summit Racing. It's really nice, one main wire that is fused and has a cuircut breaker to the block and from there I beleive it's 4 hot lines and 4 switched lines. The 4 switched lines loose their current when the truck isn't running. It's also waterproof so I can keep it under the hood on the firewall. I think I paid around $50 for it and it was worth it to clean up my shotty wiring job.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
A few more qick uestions... does each light get its own lead? and what size fuse should I use in teh sub box for the 55 watt lights?
not necessarily, I wired my rock lights to be in two banks of 3 55w lights. I ran a 12g wire along the frame and then pig-tailed 16g wires off to each light. Each bank has a switch and relay. Since at present I only have 2 lights wired/side I use 20a mini-breakers (in place of a fuse) but will switch to a 25 or 30a for 3 lights if/when I go that route. The way I have my bed bar lights set up now I probably won't need to add the other rock lights ;)

Anybody remember the amp draw for the varrious halogen bulbs? I forget...

55w
100w
etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
One of the NorCal guys had a fuse box he picked up from Cabella's installed under the fender beside the battery that was pretty slick. I saw it at Moab in October and want to do the same thing for my truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
hytenor said:
Anybody remember the amp draw for the varrious halogen bulbs? I forget...

55w
100w
etc.
For DC the Power (watts) is simply volts x amps. So the current (amps) = Watts divided by Volts.

55w / 13v = 4 amps
100w / 13v = 8 amps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
If you want a fuse box, not just a terminal block which is what most of these are, go to the wreckers and pull one from another truck and then wire it up. Then you don't have your CB protected by an 80A fuse. It would be cheap, easy and probably the best way to properly protect all your stuff, plus it will probably come with fuses.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
SteveO said:
If you want a fuse box, not just a terminal block which is what most of these are, go to the wreckers and pull one from another truck and then wire it up. Then you don't have your CB protected by an 80A fuse. It would be cheap, easy and probably the best way to properly protect all your stuff, plus it will probably come with fuses.
I know some who need that 80a fuse for their CB ;)

good idea though. I can't imagine they would cost much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
hytenor said:
I know some who need that 80a fuse for their CB ;)

good idea though. I can't imagine they would cost much.
The amount of time you Cali boys spend yapping on those things I wouldn't be surprised. My ears are still ringing. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SteveO said:
If you want a fuse box, not just a terminal block which is what most of these are, go to the wreckers and pull one from another truck and then wire it up. Then you don't have your CB protected by an 80A fuse. It would be cheap, easy and probably the best way to properly protect all your stuff, plus it will probably come with fuses.
What do you mean about not having your CB protected by an 80 amp fuse. I am going to be running all of my accessories through a fuse box where the fuse box is protected by an 80 amp fuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dyingyak said:
Brad, I have a Painless Wiring Aux. Fuse Block that I got from Summit Racing. It's really nice, one main wire that is fused and has a cuircut breaker to the block and from there I beleive it's 4 hot lines and 4 switched lines. The 4 switched lines loose their current when the truck isn't running. It's also waterproof so I can keep it under the hood on the firewall. I think I paid around $50 for it and it was worth it to clean up my shotty wiring job.
So the 4 hot lines, you can use all the time, even when the truck is off? I think that would be useful for something like a CB or the backward facing lights on my bed bar. Rock lights and front bumper lights could be just off of the switched lines. I will check out that fuse box. You wouldnt happen to know what the part number was on that would ya? Where did you mount the box? Thanks. I am in auburn by the way until sunday morning. All the family is coming in tonight so I wont be able to get together. maybe next time. seems like I am always saying that.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top