TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my headlights don't work anymore...first i thought i blew out my after market lights...so i decided to put the stock ones back in and they don't work either...so is the fuse box blown?

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
fuse

04RedLobster said:
well my headlights don't work anymore...first i thought i blew out my after market lights...so i decided to put the stock ones back in and they don't work either...so is the fuse box blown?
I doubt the entire fuse box is blown, lol, but the actual fuse in the box may be blown. That or a bad relay. I'm gonna go w/ the fuse 1st and foremost! Peace, Wes

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well that's what i meant...lol but thanks..gonna go the the dealership and check this out... yeah also..my corner lights work and my signals works..the front ones...so i think like one of the fuses blew...

·
Registered
203 Posts
i would try to stay away from the dealership if its just a fuse, they will try to rip you and make you leave your truck there all day. i dont know what the fuse box looks like but in most trucks if you have some needlenose plyers you can pull them out and check them out. theres usually like 15 and make sure you put them back into the same place. when you find the burnt out one just drop a new one in and save alot of time and money. yea yea so what are you waiting for, get out there. hahaha
-darren

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
pop open the fuse box (there is two: one in the engine compartment, and another below the steering wheel on the left side) Each have a "map" to tell you which fuse is where. Find which ever one relates to the headlamps, and pull it to see if it's fine. It could also be a relay, in which case, you will need to have someone turn on the lamps while to listen to see if the relay ingages.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
04RedLobster said:
can you explain in detail how you wired your aux lights? that will be your culprit.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i went to the dealership..and they told me the fuse was blown..like i already knew it..but they were being a little dick and saying that my clear turn signals blew the fuse...and i'm like ah... they are stock...and i'm like do mean the clear corner light? and he's like yeah...i told him that's impossible because there is no bulbs in there because i took them out...but you know dealership...they well be stupid and told me if that happens again they won't cover it next time...

well i didn't know that the fuse were so cheap...lol i guess i'll switch them out to 15 amps...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
04RedLobster said:
well i didn't know that the fuse were so cheap...lol i guess i'll switch them out to 15 amps...
If it's the fuse that blew you don't want to start upping the fuse size to keep your lights working. The fuse is a safety device based on the size of the wire. Fix the problem, don't band-aid it or you're asking for a melted harness or a fire.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
04RedLobster said:
well i went to the dealership..and they told me the fuse was blown..like i already knew it..but they were being a little dick and saying that my clear turn signals blew the fuse...and i'm like ah... they are stock...and i'm like do mean the clear corner light? and he's like yeah...i told him that's impossible because there is no bulbs in there because i took them out...but you know dealership...they well be stupid and told me if that happens again they won't cover it next time...

Do NOT up the amperage on the fuse! that can cause a fire. you must figure out why the fuse blew in the first place. During your install of your clear corners you must have grounded something out to blow the fuse. Install the same amp fuse and then track that down. trace all wires pertaining to your install looking for nicks/cuts, etc or any bare sections that might touch metal somewhere.
99.99% of the time when you have electrical problems after some sort of aftermarket install, the install is the culprit.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
SteveO said:
you're asking for a melted harness or a fire.
Hey! who told you about my harness?? LOL

been there, melted that ;)

'damn thing keeps blowing fuses everytime I throw the switch (6 fuses later), hey, what's that smell??'

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
04RedLobster said:
so what do i do if the fuse blows out again on my headlights? do i just get another fuse and replace them?
Figure out what's wrong with them would be a good start. What have you done to the truck that might have fucked it up?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nothing really...all i did was replace the headlight, clear corner lights and the turn signal lights...i was running the headlights for about a week than put the clear corner lights and the turn signal lights yesterday...it worked fine for about 3 hours. I went out with a couple of my friend to go eat and when i turn on the headlights it wasn't working...my turn signals were working and my corners...i don't think i pulled any wires.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
04RedLobster said:
nothing really...all i did was replace the headlight, clear corner lights and the turn signal lights...i was running the headlights for about a week than put the clear corner lights and the turn signal lights yesterday...it worked fine for about 3 hours. I went out with a couple of my friend to go eat and when i turn on the headlights it wasn't working...my turn signals were working and my corners...i don't think i pulled any wires.
could the bulbs in those new corners be the wrong amperage? Compare the bulbs that they came with to your OE bulbs. If they are different that might be the problem. You'll still need to retrace all your install steps looking for any loose, nicked, bare wires anyway.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
04RedLobster said:
thanks man..i will look at all the bulbs and what watts for the clear corners...
are your aftermarket front lights a higher wattage?? I would bet your shorting out due to a melting wiring harness. alot of the bagged trucks put blue headlights or wanna be xeonon ones on their trucks then the shit melts...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah i think it was too high.....i'm looking into the PIAA ones..the 8000k...is that too high? should i get like the 6000k? thanks

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
8000k, 6000k etc refers to the color of the lights. Not the wattage. The stock lamps are 55/65 watts.
don't those higher Kelvin figures usually go with HID bulbs?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
8 Participants
04RedLobster
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing