TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone! In the next few months I plan on getting a new Tacoma. I’ve been to the dealership, but the sales people were a little less than knowledgeable when it came to the mechanics of the truck. What I’m trying to find out is what is the benefit of having the locking dif if I have a 4x4. i know that the locking dif keeps the wheels spinning together but if i have 4x4 do i still need it? From what I’ve seen on the web and the lot the SR5 and the TRD sport trucks with 4x4 do not have the locking dif, but the TRD off road does. Is the locking dif a big deal? And if I think I might want to lift the truck and change the rims wouldn’t I be getting rid of a lot of the things that come along with the off road package? I don’t really envision myself trying to tackle any rock climbs or trying to drive across a river, but I do like to go camping and would hate to get stuck in the soft desert sands of Ca/Az.

thanks for any tips gang!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hi there everyone! In the next few months I plan on getting a new Tacoma. I’ve been to the dealership, but the sales people were a little less than knowledgeable when it came to the mechanics of the truck. What I’m trying to find out is what is the benefit of having the locking dif if I have a 4x4. i know that the locking dif keeps the wheels spinning together but if i have 4x4 do i still need it? From what I’ve seen on the web and the lot the SR5 and the TRD sport trucks with 4x4 do not have the locking dif, but the TRD off road does. Is the locking dif a big deal? And if I think I might want to lift the truck and change the rims wouldn’t I be getting rid of a lot of the things that come along with the off road package? I don’t really envision myself trying to tackle any rock climbs or trying to drive across a river, but I do like to go camping and would hate to get stuck in the soft desert sands of Ca/Az.

thanks for any tips gang!
Welcome! I just bought a bran new taco just a week ago.

The locking rear diff only comes in the TRD Offroad package and can only be utilized in 4lo range (from factory). If you plan on doing any offroading - the locking diff is a major bonus - even with 4WD - you can still get stuck and that locking diff rules for offroading!

I have the TRD Sport which comes with a LSD (limited slip differential) and is a hella lot better than an open diff. The LSD does its job all the time and you don't need to turn it on/off. The LSD is an added bonus for winter driving. LSD was one of the things I made sure I got in mine.

The LSD can be seen in non-TRD trucks. I'd recommend looking for one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok,… I was planning on trading in my Civic on a new Tacoma, but after reading some of the posts here I think that perhaps a new truck is not what. I’m also not sure I want a $300+ car payment. (civic only has 40k miles on it, its paid off, and it gets 35mpg) So now I’m thinking I might start looking for a used Tacoma/4Runner. Something cheap. My question is; if I’m looking to get something that I may need to do some work to, how much better off am I if I get the 4 cylinder vs. the 6. Also, say i find a 4x4 that i like, but it does not have a locking dif, can i make it a locking dif, or do i need to look for new axels? If there are any other tips you could give me to aid in my search I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
401 Posts
might as well buy new from toyota. number one reason for this, they hold there value extremely well. a new tacoma around here fully decked is around 27-29k, a used...25-26k...only a couple grand difference...

but hey, buying new i think is best, coz you have no clue what the previous owner has done to it! :)

just my :2cents:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
First you need to make up your mind what you want, truck payment or not. Then go from there. New is the only way to buy, used usually equals problems and more cash outlay later. Plus financing used costs you more in interest and if you do the math, you could have a new truck for the difference in interest. So if you have good credit, why buy used? As far as the locker OR pkg is concerned, if you buy the SR5 then lift it and lock it, you will save money over all. But you won't get the bitchin stickers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.