TTORA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
it's actually two front fzj 80 axles ... one for colin, and the other one was "there" so he picked it up to part from.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
You should slap one of those fronts under Nicole's rig with factory style links and panhard.
I tried but she wants to stay IFS for now.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
what are you going to do for the steering on the 80? Isn't that the biggest issue with those axles?

where did you get them?

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
what are you going to do for the steering on the 80? Isn't that the biggest issue with those axles?

where did you get them?
high steer exists, its just expensive.

junkyards. :p

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
shoulda got a pic of how low your truck was squattin with that load. looks like you got alota work ahead of you thoso good luck with it. looks great so far.
gah, I took measurements and have forgotten them at the moment. but at least this time I took pics.

I actually had to buy a tarp and some longer bolts and put my shocks back like /\ rather than || because the weight of the axles had bottomed my shocks, luckily I was carrying my tools with me.

If you look closely you can see how much shaft is showing, this is a week after with the shocks still sporting the /\ deal.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Ok, obviously I'm planning on running hubs since this truck sees a lot of street miles as well :p But all 80's came with flanges. I reckon since they were all FT4WD Toyota figured they probably didnt need hubs. FWIW the overseas 80's did get hubs and can be swapped onto the US 80 series but I havent seen any HDJ's in the junkyards lately.
So, mini truck hubs will fit on an 80 series. Both stubs are same diameter and spline count.

The Aisin hubs will bolt right on to a 91-92 birf but on the 93-97 models the birf stub grew longer and came with taller drive flanges and the c-clip groove is further out on the stub.

Thus the hub dial cap will not fully seat with the c-clip in the way and you run the risk of the axle shaft wandering inward and the birf binding and causing other bad things to happen. ;)

So the solution is to lathe a new groove on the birf. Apprx .23" in from the inner edge of the old groove. This will keep the birf from sliding around and binding and will allow the hub dial to seat properly.

Another option is to run some sort of spacer behind the hub body but then you should source longer studs etc and who wants to get in to that? I don't.

Pics. Got it done with the help of a classmate who's been through the machining program at school. Was gonna do it myself on the lathe in welding shop but I didnt have the right bit.

Thats all for now. Going to go water the money tree.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Will or Michael at ACC (cant remember which or both?) are running part time on their 80's. Might want to pester them for any info on what they did sence they are local.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Will or Michael at ACC (cant remember which or both?) are running part time on their 80's. Might want to pester them for any info on what they did sence they are local.
Id like to meet those ACC guys one day. Ive been by the shop when it was closed and eyed some of the pigs on the lot.

The hubs were the only thing I have to deal with and I pretty much got that figured out now. Everything else is Taco or mini truck.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
81 - 100 of 134 Posts