TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first off, I want to give credit for this one, as I cannot take any credit. This idea was previously done by “DblD” in this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/93807-ram-gps-mount.html

I really like his idea, so I stole it and took a few steps further. So, on to the write-up:

The Parts needed:
RAM Mount Garmin 60CSx Astro Cradle RAM-HOL-GA12U Model: RAM-HOL-GA12U
RAM Mount Diamond Plate with 1 inch Ball RAM-B-238U Model: RAM-B-238U
RAM Mount 0.25 inch NPT Thread with Single 1 inch Ball Model: RAM-B-218-1U
RAM Mount Short Arm B-Socket RAM-B-201U-A Model: RAM-B-201U-A
Garmin Cigarette Lighter Adapter Model: 010-10085-00
7/16 Fine Thread Bolt or threaded Rod
6 mm metric tap
6mm metric bolt or threaded rod

Steps:
First thing was to make the ballmount that interfaces with the trucks “ohh $hit” handle. This is where me and DblDs methods were a bit different. The threads that the ballmount comes with is 7/16 fine thread. I took a small threaded rod, cut it to length (about ¾” long) so that it will thread in and sit flush inside the ballmount. If you don’t have threaded rod, just cut the head off a bolt. Next, while it was still on the lathe, I drilled her right down the center and tapped it with a 6mm tap. DO NOT DRILL AND TAP ALL THE WAY THROUGH (make it a blind hole) otherwise your metric bolt will just thread into your mount and disappear before mating with the truck.
I then took my metric bolt (or threaded rod) chopped the head off and threaded it in so that it was about an inch or so sticking out:

Add some locktite and you are good to go
Now, remove the a-pillar from the truck (very easy..two bolts) so that you can route the charger cable. While it is off, Drill a hole to run the wire out so that it can reach your GPS. Then re-install the a-pillar using the new ballmount in place of the lower “ohh $hit” handle mounting bolt location:

In the picture above, you can see the charger wire going through the hole in the a-pillar.

Now, add the small arm and cradle and orient it how you like:

Next was to wire it, you can easily keep the cigarette lighter plug and just use that, however, I wanted to hardwire mine into my auxiliary fuse block. To do I routed it into my engine bay through the grommet in the fire wall. I then cut the cig lighter plug off so that it is just the wires.

NOTE THAT A 1.5A FUSE IS CONTAINED IN THE CIG LIGHTER PLUG, SO YOU MUST FUSE IT EXTERNALLY IF YOU REMOVE THE PLUG

I then routed it to the fuse block, cut it to length and added standard ring terminals:

All that is left is to plug it into the fuse block and fuse it. I used a 2A fuse (I will try to find a proper 1.5 “ fuse that will fit later, but 2A is the smallest I had laying around):

And the final product, as seen from the driver’s seat:

·
Registered
374 Posts
clean work!

how do you like the screen size on that garmin? i've been looking at that unit, but keep debating due to the small screen size.
thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clean work!

how do you like the screen size on that garmin? i've been looking at that unit, but keep debating due to the small screen size.
thanks
The screen is one of the best parts, it is clear to see, even when you are hiking around in direct sunlight (other GPS have trouble with glare and are hard to read). I love the unit

·
Registered
915 Posts
Nice, looks good. I did a writeup on a mount I made for the same GPS a couple years ago, I don't like stuff in my windshield and this is what I came up with if anybody wants to see another option.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118240

1 - 7 of 7 Posts