TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one? :flamethro :welder:

I wanted to get member's experience/ opinions on these two options for general SAS/Fab work. I have found a price on both a tourch system and a plasma system that would work for me but need to make a decision. Since I have never used either method I need some input.

Thanks,

Ross

·
Registered
112 Posts
if price isnt a factor, id definately go with the plasma cutter. just make sure you get one that can cut the thickest material youll be working with. i havent used my torch at all since i got a plasma cutter.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
if price isnt a factor, id definately go with the plasma cutter. just make sure you get one that can cut the thickest material youll be working with. i havent used my torch at all since i got a plasma cutter.
X2, the focused heat is also one of my favorite features of mine... When making long cuts or notches, a plasma cutter won’t over heat your work potentially warping it... Plus its also a matter of convenience for me. With the plasma cutter, its point and shoot… the torch requires lighting and adjusting before you can get to work.

Later
Joel

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
like the other guys said, if you can afford the best, go w/ the best... and if you're feeling generous... you could always buy me that porto-torch I've been lookin at ;)

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Plasma will make cleaner cuts, but a torch is handy for heating up metal to bend and reshape, as well as cutting stuff a plasma can't get to. The right torch head will do very clean cuts however

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
plasma

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Which one? :flamethro :welder:

I wanted to get member's experience/ opinions on these two options for general SAS/Fab work. I have found a price on both a tourch system and a plasma system that would work for me but need to make a decision. Since I have never used either method I need some input.

Thanks,

Ross
plasma, no question.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Plasma. Plus, with plasma you can make aluminum templates of your parts and re-use them without damage. Rule of thumb; you can never go wrong buying the bigger machine.:2cents:

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Actually I am going to lean just slightly towards the torch. Yes i want a plasma and think it would be a great thing to have. But the torch if used properly is more versitle than a plasma. And if used right and with enough practice can make some very clean cuts (not as clean as a plasma) but in most of what I use a torch for a plasma would be worthless. I.E- cutting bolts, freeing up rusty bolts and parts, bending material, heating to expand material, and cutting 1 inch thick material. But again a torch is something that you have to learn to use setting the flame to do what you want to do(cutting or just heating) I have seen a lot of people make messes and mess up there work cause they do not know how to properly used the torch and they just end up finally melting the material off instead of "cutting" it off. But with that being said idealy you would want both, but a torch can do what a plasma can do but a plasma can't do what a torch can do, but if the only thing you want is to cut metal then get the plasma but if you need to do any of the other things I mentioned then the torch is what you need. But that is just my :2cents:

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
For a SAS I would use a torch. Try to use a plasma to remove worn leaf spring bushings and shackle bushings.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It would matter to me what its intended use would be?

A oxy acetylene torch is far more versatile.

With mild steel you can get TIG quality welds, I used one weld thin guage tubing for a friend with a go-cart, it hasn't fallen apart yet after two years of racing. I also built a free standing deer stand using oxy acetylene to weld all the tabs on with. You can heat and bend steel for all sorts of brackets. You can heat up stuck parts to help loosen them. You can use a torch to temper steels in a variety of ways with a rose bud tip. Lastly you can use it to cut stuff, and its possible to get close to the smoothness of a plasma cutter with some practice.

A plasma cutter does ONE thing very well, it cuts.

Wally

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the input!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Something else to consider... the torch is only good on steel, doesnt cut aluminum or other non-ferrous materials. If there was a way to get both the plasma and the OA torch, do it. You'll have most of your bases covered that way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Plasma!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
i vote plasma quick and clean, no preheating or having to restart in the middle

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've never done an SAS but I have done a lot of cutting. Any reason no one has recommended a petrogen torch over the OA? They can cut up to 12" steel and make MUCH cleaner cuts than an OA. What's the advantage?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts