TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with my gas gague. I have more trouble with it when towing my boat. I can fill it up and start out the driveway and it drops some. It will get to the point its on empty sometimes and wont hold but 7 or 8 gallons or so. It varies how far it drops and etc. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm guessing the weight of the trailer is causing your truck to sag and fooling your gas guage into a false reading. The level is read by a float on the end of a linkage, so unless you're truck is level it's only worth so much.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mine was never right from day 1. I can fill the tank and drive 75 miles and the gage is still pegged on full. Then all of a sudden it drops real fast. I don't tow any trailers as I don't own any horses or alpacas.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mine drops too when I turn on alot of electronics. Especially my air comrpessor. I would think if I got a bigger and better alternator, it would solve this giving the gas guage enough to read.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
My Taco is pretty much stock and my gas gauge does the same... Seems like it stays at full a long time after filling the tank, then drops to just below half pretty quick... hangs there for a while and drops again to just above "E" even though I actually have about 4-8 gallons left. My best guess, just a lousy float. If it bothers you that much, hope onto Jegs or even just a local auto part store and grab a whole new sending unit, see what happens.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wondered that but dad thought it was pretty level. If I got one of those air lift springs it might would help?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least mine isnt the only one, but it didnt do this at least just the truck, I can't remember for sure if it started it as soon as I got the boat or not

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder what causes that. I dont I remember it doing it when I got the boat or something after that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I knew for sure how many gallons was in it at different times, it would be as bad, but sometimes it varies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts