TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read a lot of posts on here by people who are wondering what happened to the days when they could drive 375 miles on a tank of gas (2.7L). My mileage has also been dropping. 350....325...300..280...250...

Today I filled up. Guess how many miles were on the trip odometer (I reset it at each fill)? 200! I went 200 miles on 1 tank of gas! What the heck is going on here? O2 sensor(s) bad? Winter gas? It's not something stupid like the tires not being properly inflated or a hole in the tank. It's pretty scarey, I mean where is all that gas going? The thing can't possibly be running with the right mixture.

·
I think I remember where Moab is?
1,227 Posts
I hear ya man, I have only been getting 200 miles per tank for about a year now, so now I just don't drive the truck unless I have too. I do have a V6 and a S/C too though. But mine really started to drop as I put bigger tires on and added weight to the truck. So I regeared, and when I did, I also put manual hubs on the truck thinking that this would at least get me back to 275-300 miles per tank....no did absolutely nothing, and if I get crazy with the throttle and not pay attention to it I have gotten as low as 158 miles on a tank....that was about a month ago and very depressing, so back to the old grand am it is!!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'all need to put our heads together and figure this crap out. It's a very obvious pattern with Tacomas...they start out getting the gas mileage that Toyota claims they should get then in a few years they get real real thirsty.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
if you have a bad 02 sensor it will suck gas, i had one go out on my 98 v6 4x4 and it would suck down a tank after about 150 miles. i fixed it by switching the front sensor with the rear sensor, but i guess i got lucky with only the front one being bad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always notice that my gas mileage goes down a lot in the winter. for me, it has to do with warming my truck up for ten minutes or so before going to work in the morning. I also use four wheel drive more. I also add about 150 lbs of sand in the bed. You might want to start with the easy stuff to check. e.g. filters, plugs, tires. A tune up might help. I feel for you. Gas is wicked expensive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah I have a '98 2.7 with about 135,000 and I'm only geting around 210 or 220 on an entire tank, yes I've ran it down to almost 7 tenths of a gallon!! Anyways, I"m here in NY so gas is insane almost $2.20 a gallon so it's really hurting my wallet. I know V8's that are geting better mpg than me!! I have 33's and I haven't regeared yet, but I already have 4.56's. Did a tune up about 20,000 miles ago. To comment on the O2 senson, wouldn't you think the check engine light would come on because the o2 sensor was operating properly...so if no check engine light isn't it something other than that. Just my .02 cents
Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was getting 320 to 330 with my 95, 2.7, 5-speed with 32s. I just installed a cold air intake ( old air box was cracking) I also installed a no-slip locker and man now if I baby it I am lucky to get 240 to 260 per tank. I had it checked for codes and no codes are in the ECU. I was hoping to see one on the O2 senor. Could the o2 be bad and not throw a code? I think we all need a little help.
If not guess I go back to 31's and remove the locker ( anyone need a locker with less then 300 miles :( )

·
Registered
117 Posts
You should all install a supercharger on your 2.7 like I did, this really uses the fuel!! Not to mention you have to run premium!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Would love for someone to figure out the gas mileage problem. My 4Runner ('99, 4x4, V6, 5spd, 33's, 4.30 gears) only gets about 185 miles per tank on the highway. I thought it was b/c I have a roofrack with the spare tire up there and I'm usually on the interstate going about 75-80. The check engine light light isn't on and it seems to run fine. I did replace the maf about a year ago when a code came up for that-replacing that made no difference in gas mileage though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
1. clean your maf and throttle body

2. check/replace your front O2 sensor.

3. make sure your plugs are good and replace if necessary.

lowest mileage i've had is about 14.5 i now get about 18 on the highway @ 75 mph and last week i hit 19.9 on one tank.

that's w/a SC, ARB Bumper, Winch, 285 MTR's on 4.10 gears and an auto...

·
1,227 Posts
law116 said:
if you have a bad 02 sensor it will suck gas, i had one go out on my 98 v6 4x4 and it would suck down a tank after about 150 miles. i fixed it by switching the front sensor with the rear sensor, but i guess i got lucky with only the front one being bad.
Aren't the front and the rear sensors different??? But anyway, I did change my O2 sensor and that still didn't help more than 1mpg, that just got me back up the 200 a tank.....But we really need to figure it out, I hate not driving it....

·
Registered
43 Posts
In the winter, I'm lucky if I get 12 miles per gallon with my 2.7. If I get 300 miles on a tank of gas, on the highway - in the summer, I'm thrilled. I stopped keeping track of my mileage because it was so depressing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't have any suggestions but my 2001 TRD 4x4 X-Tra Cab seems to have become a bit of a gas pig as well. I was at one time getting about 250-260 miles per tank before the gas light came on. Lately I have been seeing the gas light as early as 220-230 miles. I really wish I knew what the deal was with this thing.

·
1,227 Posts
slocoma said:
I stopped keeping track of my mileage because it was so depressing.
I hear you there, although I have stopped technically "keeping track" I still reset the tripometer at every fill up so I still keep track, just in the back of my head....

·
Registered
43 Posts
mr.trd said:
I hear you there, although I have stopped technically "keeping track" I still reset the tripometer at every fill up so I still keep track, just in the back of my head....
I'm sure most, if not all of us, have done regular maintenance. I've got about 75K on my truck and have replaced spark plug wires, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc. I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't some kind of fuel injector problem. I wonder if they are starting to build up with deposits. Would be interesting for someone to have their's sent out to be cleaned and see what the mileage results are afterwards. Unfortunately, it's not an easy or quick thing to do. The other thing to try and do might be to replace at least the o2 sensor before the cat. It's easy, but it's not cheap.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea I mean most people on this board are maintaining their truck. I'm starting to think there's a design flaw. Is something tightening up and causing friction?

·
1,227 Posts
slocoma said:
I'm sure most, if not all of us, have done regular maintenance. I've got about 75K on my truck and have replaced spark plug wires, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc. I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't some kind of fuel injector problem. I wonder if they are starting to build up with deposits. Would be interesting for someone to have their's sent out to be cleaned and see what the mileage results are afterwards. Unfortunately, it's not an easy or quick thing to do. The other thing to try and do might be to replace at least the o2 sensor before the cat. It's easy, but it's not cheap.
Yeah I have done all of the maintenance and just replaced the front o2 sensor about 1500 miles ago. I am running the 330cc injectors right now but would love to redo my entire fuel system to go with the new fangaled technology that URD has so that would replace the fuel injectors but would also replace the Apex'i S-AFC for the Split Second unit and that too I think may have something to do with mine so maybe i should just rip the s/c off and go back to stock with the stock injectors that only have 20K on them and see where I am... I mean hell I can have the charger and the fuel injectors out and on the bench in 20 minutes now....

·
Registered
174 Posts
mr.trd said:
i gave up on it also i have a 22 gallon tank and i dont even know how many miles i can get with it i drive my truck all day for work some times and they pay me 0.30$ a mile wooohooo that barley covers my gas

1 - 20 of 61 Posts