TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked on my last two fill-ups and I'm getting about 15.5 mpg (corrected for 265/75/16 tires @ 4%)

I remember getting 17+ ish a while back and once 19 on a < 65 mph 150 mile trip!!

The engine is running good, no check engine light, what could bring down the gas mileage? I've been doing mostly in-town driving these last two tanks.

Oh, I just put on my new Revos. Ran about these last two tanks through them...

Jody.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I noticed my gas mileage was progressively getting worse and ended up getting a new k&n filter, my old one was disgusting and running a can of BG44k through the motor. I went from about 13.5 mpg to 17 keep in mind i'm rolling 33's and geared but that is my "corrected" mileage.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Outback said:
I checked on my last two fill-ups and I'm getting about 15.5 mpg (corrected for 265/75/16 tires @ 4%)

I remember getting 17+ ish a while back and once 19 on a < 65 mph 150 mile trip!!

The engine is running good, no check engine light, what could bring down the gas mileage? I've been doing mostly in-town driving these last two tanks.

Jody.
Don't forget it takes more power to turn those heavier tires as well. Couple that with stop and go driving and your truck is working harder a lot of the time. I don't think you'll realize a similar decrease when you throw some highway driving in the mix, since once your truck is up to speed on the highway you're not dealing with light to light romps.

When I'd initially gone to that size from stock, I noticed a similar decrease.

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was running the same size BFG ATs before. I have heard that the Revos are actually heavier even in a load range C tire. Maybe that's it....

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, I looked at my filter the other day and noticed it was pretty dirty and needed replaced with the next oil change.... I should change the oil now.

I'm going to all synthetics: engine/t-case/diffs when I do, so that may help.

Jody.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Outback said:
I was running the same size BFG ATs before. I have heard that the Revos are actually heavier even in a load range C tire. Maybe that's it....
Oh, then forget what mudferret said. He's just a post whore anyways :D
Let's go with the "Revos are heavier" theory.

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...and that I have a dirty air filter :rolleyes:

Sounds good.

Jody.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Outback said:

Jody.
Winter gas will lower mpg as well.

·
Registered
565 Posts
True that, My winter MPG is a lot lower than my summer MPG, same commute.
Stupid environmental wackos..."Hey let's add this chemical to lower air pollution. What? it lowers MPG and works out to the same pollution per-mile?...So what, at least LOOKS like we are doing something..."

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Outback said:

Jody.
What tire pressure are you running?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Please correct me if I am on crack rock, but I believe since I
am rollin 33''s that the odometer is reading less
miles ; therefore it appears my gas milage is worse than actual?
Example when my odometer reads .8+/- mile actual
is more like .10 or 1 mile
Hmmm I guess I will GPS verify

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
cheesetaco said:
Please correct me if I am on crack rock, but I believe since I
am rollin 33''s that the odometer is reading less
miles ; therefore it appears my gas milage is worse than actual?
Example when my odometer reads .8+/- mile actual
is more like .10 or 1 mile
Hmmm I guess I will GPS verify
You be correct yo. To figure out the percent diff:

x = your current tire diameter
y = original tire diameter

[(y-x)/y] * 100

So your speedo will be reading -X% below the actual value.

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
30 psi. ft/rr

·
Registered
503 Posts
Outback said:
30 psi. ft/rr
My MPG had been getting worse and worse also. I replased my air fileter, fuel filter, plugs and ran a can of Seafoam though it. Still was getting 16. I replaced my O2 sensor and I went back up to 19.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
I delt with the same issue after I started using my K&N air flow. The dealer tried to get me to buy a new O2 sensor however all I needed to do was clean it. They wanted to charge some $300 for a new sensor, however when I cleaned it with water and a cotton swab, my gas milage went back to about 18mpg.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Outback said:
30 psi. ft/rr

The thing with air pressure is you have to measure the tires when they are cold like first thing in the morning. After driving for awhile, the pressure will increase due to heat. I could be a difference of 8 psi. The goal is to keep your cold tire pressure at the desired psi.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'll have to try that. My mileage has been as low as 16 recently with the 2.7 engine! When new I got up to 22 and once 25. Thanks for the idea

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
18 Participants
Plasstik
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing