TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18 gallon tank with a 2.7. I am runnin 265's. I just checked my mileage and it was 16.3. I really thought it would be better than that. Anyone else have that problem? Any suggestions on what to do to get better mileage? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Only drive down-hill.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I have an 18 gallon tank with a 2.7. I am runnin 265's. I just checked my mileage and it was 16.3. I really thought it would be better than that. Anyone else have that problem? Any suggestions on what to do to get better mileage? Thanks.
Change your driving habits...

·
Registered
779 Posts
hills?wind? city? all variables that the 3rz -fe could suffer in not to mention towing :eek: 4 cyclinder generally gets better gas mileage but when it needs to work harder just to do the work of the v6 it loses in that department. did that make any sense? so most likely you are either smashin the skinny pedal or you're encountering one of the variables stated above. hope my jumbled info helps, somewhat

-Alex

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,525 Posts
Is your speedometer correct? That tire size is 31.6" which is basically a 32" tire. The larger tire size over stock will not exactly match your gears, so that leads to inaccurate speedo and worse gas mileage.

My truck specs are similar to yours and I get about the same gas mileage.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What gears do you have? I got 16.3 on a good tank with 3.58s and 265/75/16s. Highest I saw with that combo was 20.12, and that was cruising up I5 at 70mph the whole way. Driving up to Big Bear and over the hills to Laguna mixed with some great socal traffic got me 15mpg or less.

I'm getting consistant 18s doing the same things with the same wheels and tires in my 3.4 V6 auto 4runner. Same stretch of I5 I got 19.78 in the runner...but this time I got to do 85-95.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
As Showstop said: check your gearing and your speedometer. Also search...

·
Registered
93 Posts
16-18 mpg mixed city and fwy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Are your 265s mud treads? I got around 22-24 with my 02 x-cab 4cyl 4x4 with the stock tires, it went down to 19-20 when I got some BFG ATs in the same size. Tire weight and tread have a lot to do with rolling resistance.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
what gears you got? i got a 97 runner 2.7 5speed, 4.556 gears, with 265/75/r16 bfg at's and i get 21-22 mpg

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
On my 96' 2.7 5spd, I consistently got no lower than 18. That was w/ 32's 4.56's and a speedo that was off by 10mph by the time I hit "70 mph" ;). On the hwy, I'd get 22mpg's, GOD I miss that shit.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Im glad to hear all of this about the 2.7, I enjoy no less then 18city 20hwy w/my 31's and 3.4.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
just got back from a 800 mile trip down to the bay and over to cow mountian... on the interstate my tanks were hittin around 22 MPG with 33's mounted on 15x10s... thats also with sliders, toolbox filled with crap, bed filled with gear, cab filled with gear and my roommate and I...

i got 4.30 gears with my 2.7L...

i was happy

·
Registered
663 Posts
Even though my 2.7 is running a little rough at the high mileage it has obtained, I get around 18 with 33X12.5/15 BGF MT-KM and 4.10s combined city/highway, mostly city. Back when it only had 220,000 miles I got 20 mpg pulling my pop-up back from a weekend of wheeling with the bed full of junk and the cab stuffed with 5 passengers (xtra cab)

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a 2.7 automatic, geared for 28's and I'm running 33's, and I get about 17mpg. The reason the number you are getting is so low is probably the method you are getting it. The best way you can find you average MPG is to start by filling you tank, then set your trip, drive until you hit empty, then fill up again. Take the number of gallons it takes to fill it the second time which on my truck is usually around 16 and then divide the miles you have on your trip. by it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The reason the number you are getting is so low is probably the method you are getting it. The best way you can find you average MPG is to start by filling you tank, then set your trip, drive until you hit empty, then fill up again. Take the number of gallons it takes to fill it the second time which on my truck is usually around 16 and then divide the miles you have on your trip. by it.
what other way do people calculate mileage:confused:

1 - 20 of 142 Posts