TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if the cluster is for a V6 or I4. I got one from a friend of mine that owns a junkyard and he said the truck had a I4 in it, but when I put in in my truck the tach was wrong WAY wrong. On the tach my truck was hitting the revlimter at only 3800 or so rpms. Is there any way I can check and see if it is for a 4 banger or 6? If it is form a V6 is there anyway I can make is work on a 4 banger or am I just $hit out of luck? I can post pics if needed.

Thanks
Sid

·
Registered
984 Posts
Assuming all connections, etc., are correct ... That's a 6-cylinder tach you got there. Reported figures vary, but the 2RZ / 3RZ rev limiter is reached at circa 5750 - 5790 rpm. This is roughly 150% of the rpms shown on the face of the tach - clearly indicating the tach is calibrated for 150% of the number of cylinders you've got (i.e., 6 instead of 4).

No, there's really nothing you can do about it unless you want to try and disassemble the instrument cluster ('combination meter' in Toyota-ese) and swap in a 4-cylinder tach unit. I'm not sure even this would work, because it may well be the case the printed circuit board on the back of the cluster is different for 4- versus 6-cylinder models.

I've never seen a listing of specific parts numbers for 2001 - 2004 clusters / tachs that would allow you to readily tell which is which.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
there is a way to modify your v6 cluster to work on an i4... someone will chime in with specs I'm sure, but I know at least one person on here has done it before.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is great. Please someone tell me how it is done.

Thanks
Sid

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Trice99
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing