TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this on Tacomaworld a few weeks ago and didn't get a response... go figure but anyhow here's what I said over there:
"A few days ago I thought I noticed my gauge lights flickering while I was driving, but since it was early morning, I just assumed that I was seeing things. Tonight, I was driving in the dark and my gauge lights noticeably turned on and off and then my headlights as well. Anytime I pressed the brake pedal, the headlights would flicker and dim down to extremely low levels. When I went to drive back to my house, I could not replicate the problem. I checked all the fuses and relays, but could not find anything. I did the fog light all the time mod 2 years ago, and pulled my trans to replace my clutch a few months ago. Otherwise, I only have replaced my battery and headlights with silverstars, but I've been running those for over a year or two as well. Any ideas? Can't find any indications of shorts... but I'm sure something could be uncovered with a little digging. 05 xcab v6 6 speed trd offroad."
I was driving yesterday, and this happened again, couldn't replicate it when I was stopped, only happened while I was driving... any ideas what it could be? Sometimes my truck was stutter when it happened while I was driving, like it was starving for spark. My plan is to replace the plugs (needs done anyhow) and then pull out the alternator. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would check all the ground connections in the engine bay to be sure their tight, and make sure the battery terminals aren't all corroded.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery terminals look okay... I'll check the grounds again... tough to see them the other night in the dark.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone think that it could have something to do with a relay? I noticed that after it shuts down the gauges/lights, it starts back up and it doesn't repeat the problems after that, until I start the truck again. Couldn't find any loose grounds, but I may have missed some... gotta pull open the service manual.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You have any other lights or load on the battery all the time? Im thinking alternator as well. Since its happening only when you hit the brakes and loading the system more. Or double check grounds like tacoma2k stated. Whats it charging at?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the cables off the battery and took a wire brush to them as a last ditch effort before tearing into other things, and haven't had the issue since then. Not saying it's gone away, since it's went away before for a week but I'll keep an eye on it. No other lights except for the stock ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts