TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of going bigger (from 33's to 35's) and I will need to regear. I've noticed that most people are running 4.88's with 35's but a couple are running 4.56's. I have a 4cyl so I'm not sure if I should run something lower to make up for the lack of engine power. The only thing I have found is 5.38's for the Dana44 and 5.29's for the rear Toy axle. Will this difference in ratio hurt anything? Should I just stick with 4.88's? I am basically just looking for your guys opinions.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Friend ran 4.88's on his SAS'ed 4 cyl Taco. Worked well, but it wasn't a street rig really.

I ran the 5.38/5.29 combo in my old 86 and it never hurt anything. I would gear a little lower than you think. The tires get heavy and you carry gear, etc and you will be happier IMO with lower gears like 5.29's.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
faithoffroad said:
I'm thinking of going bigger (from 33's to 35's) and I will need to regear. I've noticed that most people are running 4.88's with 35's but a couple are running 4.56's. I have a 4cyl so I'm not sure if I should run something lower to make up for the lack of engine power. The only thing I have found is 5.38's for the Dana44 and 5.29's for the rear Toy axle. Will this difference in ratio hurt anything? Should I just stick with 4.88's? I am basically just looking for your guys opinions.

the 5.38/5.29 gears work fine just don't expect much for street performance with the 2.7 pulling those big meats.

(Now David will chime in and correct me ;)

If you have the TRD rear end, however, I wouldn't go lower than 4.88s/33s. There have been a bunch of members blowing TRD rears with 35s or larger lately due to the smaller R&P and the less than optimal axle shafts. the non-TRD 8.4" is much stronger.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I ran 5.29's and 37's daily for a long time! In a 22RE!! Pulled good enough to do 70 on most interstates. :D Went to 40's and shot all that to he!! :D

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Bones said:
Pulled good enough to do 70 on most interstates. :D
was that downhill and with a tailwind? :p

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of bad on street manners are we talking about? I pretty much just drive 40 MPH about 5 miles to work everyday. I would like to be able to actually drive my rig to wheeling parks instead of trailering it. These 33 1350 LTBS are terrible and I can't stand them anymore

·
Registered
240 Posts
Bad street manors IF you run it in 4WD at speed is what I am assuming he is talking about with the 5.38/5.29 combo. Wasn't much of an issue for me, but I did run it on snow days getting people out of ditches, etc. Fun stuff :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
faithoffroad said:
The 5.29/5.38 combo is a good one for 35s and a 2.7! Will leave ya some room to upgrade tire size some day too.
I run 35s for hitting the parking lots and 38.5s off road.
You will be running some high rpms at highway speeds but, its nice to have some extra power there... [HAHA I said power talking about a 2.7]
For some stupid reason, I decided to go with 5.13s up front... Sux a bit in the snow on road. The rear pushes making for a fun ride sometimes. With 5.38 the front would pull helping keep her straight, well kinda :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
cchark said:
For some stupid reason, I decided to go with 5.13s up front... Sux a bit in the snow on road. The rear pushes making for a fun ride sometimes. With 5.38 the front would pull helping keep her straight, well kinda :D
Lucky your Tcase is still in one piece. not a good idea to vary the gears that much. Doesn't sound like much, but I have never heard of anyone doing such a thing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Bones said:
Lucky your Tcase is still in one piece. not a good idea to vary the gears that much. Doesn't sound like much, but I have never heard of anyone doing such a thing.
Its certainly not perfect world but, a few % is no big deal.
Thats what happens when you start mixing Toys and random American axles

·
Registered
240 Posts
I understand that, I did this as well only not quite so drastic. For the 5.13/5.29 combo I would have to try different tire pressures F/R to balance that out more....especially for any 4x4 action other than 4 lo crawling. My $0.02 anyway.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Bones said:
Nope. 5th gear was not used until flat ground though :D.
Ah, and THEN you pray for a tail wind ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing