TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My stock 2001 Standard Cab, 4cyl, 5spd, 4x4 comes with 4.30's (B07A). I was going to buy a used TRD rear axle with e-locker.

However, the TRD rear has 4.10's. If I buy both front and rear diffs and run at 4.10 instead of 4.30 how noticable will it be? I am currently running 33x12.50's. I'm running at 2700rpms in 5th gear going 70mph and already wanted to regear to get back to stock performance.

I can't afford to regear and buy the used TRD rear so it's either run at 4.10, stay lockerless or leave a TRD rear axle sitting in the living room of my apartment. Maybe I could put a glass table top on it and make it into a coffee table.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't gear up!

If you use your truck off -road, it's a big mistake gearing up to 4.10's from 4.30's. Especially with the 2.7 and 33's. No offense, but I'm thinkin you're underpowered as it is. Although, having said that, I really don't think you're going to notice that 5% gearing change.

I'm confused though. You wrote: I can't afford to regear and buy the used TRD". Since the rear has a diifferent gear ratio than your current front, how do you not end up not re-gearing the front anyway? You can't run a 4.30 rear and a 4.10 front. If you can, be patient and save your dough for another day. It seems like you are forcing a project; and in a wrong direction...

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
grozanc said:
Hello,

My stock 2001 Standard Cab, 4cyl, 5spd, 4x4 comes with 4.30's (B07A). I was going to buy a used TRD rear axle with e-locker.

However, the TRD rear has 4.10's. If I buy both front and rear diffs and run at 4.10 instead of 4.30 how noticable will it be? I am currently running 33x12.50's. I'm running at 2700rpms in 5th gear going 70mph and already wanted to regear to get back to stock performance.

I can't afford to regear and buy the used TRD rear so it's either run at 4.10, stay lockerless or leave a TRD rear axle sitting in the living room of my apartment. Maybe I could put a glass table top on it and make it into a coffee table.

Thanks,
Gary
you do NOT want to go up in ratio, trust me. there are no 4.30 gears made for the e-locker rear. Since you have 33s I would regear to either 4.56 (gets you back to stock performance) or 4.88s for more power. If you can't do both then look into the ARB for your non-trd axle. Buy the time it's all done you'll spend about the same money. what you have is a stronger axle anyway.

Have you adjusted your mph reading for the different tire size? I doubt you are actually going 70 at your indicated 2700 rpms. w/o adjusting for the 6% error (31s to 33s) you are going that much faster than what your speedo indicates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts