TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip out there this summer, just curious how bad 4.10's and 33's with the 3.4 auto will be on highway passes? Strictly speaking of on road performance here. I'm currently at 500ft and we don't have hills here in Dallas.

Are we talking just bad mileage and sluggish or foot to the floor and 30mph?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
you wont be passing anyone but 55 or so should be workable without pushing the truck to the limit, the biggest thing is to make sure you dont have to get on the brakes for someone going up the hill, if you do then you loose all your momentum with how the tranny shifts.

I drove with 33's and 4.10's for years and it wasn't fun, but it was manageable.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
^ what he said; a local member moved back here from TX with a 3.4/auto and it's not exactly a rocket on the hills... but it gets the job done. Don't be in a rush to go anywhere and you'll be fine.
Just plug along like an 85 4Runner on 35s powered by a 22RE and 4.10s... you'll get there. Just not as fast.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When are you coming up here? I live in south Denver.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Superchargers are also good to get your around traffic with big tires but they don't help much at the pump. Best thing is to increase your gear ratio by the same percentage as you increase tire size, plus a smidge if you don't have some sort of power adder. When I went from the stock 31s to 35" tires I swapped out 4.10s for 4.56 gears and my speedo is spot on. With 4.56 and 33" tires you'll have a little speedo error to take care of so plan on that too.

Cool, thanks for the replies. Gears are on tbr list, but not sure if it'll be by summer or not. We spent a week there 2 years ago and can't wait to go back in the truck with more options on places to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Dick Foster
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing