TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I know the answer already, buy I've never heard this posed as a devils advocate defense and I have a reason for asking so here goes........
Will it hurt anything to have 4:88's in the rear and stock gears in the front? BUT before you hit that reply button, riddle me this Batman, When in 4x4 and front wheels are slipping and spinning and the rear is not losing traction the front is therefore spinning at a different rate than the rears, so in theory one could re-gear the rear and drive and maybe wheel too for a while until he gets his SAS done and then of course is re-geared? or no?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Captkirkyota said:
I believe I know the answer already, buy I've never heard this posed as a devils advocate defense and I have a reason for asking so here goes........
Will it hurt anything to have 4:88's in the rear and stock gears in the front? BUT before you hit that reply button, riddle me this Batman, When in 4x4 and front wheels are slipping and spinning and the rear is not losing traction the front is therefore spinning at a different rate than the rears, so in theory one could re-gear the rear and drive and maybe wheel too for a while until he gets his SAS done and then of course is re-geared? or no?
I wouldn't try it. it might be OK in dirt or something with less traction. Rocks would be a different story.
Hey go for it and let us knw how it works!!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
yeah it may allow it to slip enough that it only does minimal damage, but in reality your x-case will be cussin your ass out and probably get mad and blow the hell up, take pictures if it does though :D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Captkirkyota said:
Mud and sand drag trucks use different gears and size tires between front and rear, the idea is to keep the front spinning while the back is pulling. It would depend on the type terrain you were wheeling on, if it was slippery/muddy terrain you wouldnt have a real problem with binding, any terrain offering good traction could bind things up or break parts.

Tim

·
Administrator
18,281 Posts
I think the rule of thumb was something like 5% max difference in gear ratios f/r. Anything beyond that was asking for trouble. Your difference, assuming you have 4.10 stock gears, is 20%. Thats too much. You may be fine in situations where the HP and torque are low, but if you put a heavy load on it in 4x4, I would expect the transfer or front diff to blow.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. This is all what I thought , but had to ask. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
i've seen people running 5.29's out back and i think 5.37's up front, but i think the difference between stock and 4.88's would be too much

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Captkirkyota said:
I've seen it done...funny to watch. The guy that was on the run with us had 5.29r and stock 4.10 up front. He'd been running that for 'quite a while' according to him. I sure would't want to try it and risk blowing the tcase.

here's the truck:
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/wheelin trips/Strawberry trail/10-03/photos/photo_92.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts