Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some help.. Im re-gearing in december, and i currently run 33's on my 98' 5vz auto 4runner and im stuck between a rock and a hard place. dont plan on running 35's for a while and this is my DD. I originally had my mind set on 5.29 but looking at gear calculators and hearing some people say GO FOR IT and others say holy crap thats waaay too much, im not sure now. my rpms at speed are perfect, its just maintaining speed on a windy day or accelerating in any situation that i encounter a problem. so vote and explain.

also what do yall think of Hudlow, ill be having them do the work
and to aide in my decision anyone got a 5.29/4.88 5vz auto 4runner i could test drive over t-giving to help make up my mind?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
i need some help.. Im re-gearing in december, and i currently run 33's on my 98' 5vz auto 4runner and im stuck between a rock and a hard place. dont plan on running 35's for a while and this is my DD. I originally had my mind set on 5.29 but looking at gear calculators and hearing some people say GO FOR IT and others say holy crap thats waaay too much, im not sure now. my rpms at speed are perfect, its just maintaining speed on a windy day or accelerating in any situation that i encounter a problem. so vote and explain.

and to aide in my decision anyone got a 5.29/4.88 5vz auto 4runner i could test drive over t-giving to help make up my mind?
the 5vz is the 3.4 V6 correct? From everything that i have read, everybody says to go with 4.88's with the auto. Maybe its different between tacos and 4runnners, but i dont really see how it could be that different.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
You already know what i think :p

Automatic rpm @70mph:

4.88 = 2469
5.29 = 2677

Manual rpm @70mph:

4.56 = 2730
4.88 = 2922

Maybe its different between tacos and 4runnners, but i dont really see how it could be that different.
5.29s and 33s on my 4runner feels just about the same as 5.29s and 35's on my taco

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
im goin with 5.29s on mine after xmas as well. i already picked up the rear 3rd geared and locked from James... and after looking through here about other people wanting to regear a lot of people had said they were riding the 4.88s but had wished that they just went with the 5.29s instead. all i believe were running 33" tires

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i just bought some 4.88s for my tacoma and will be stepping up to 35s when my 33s wear out. my truck is also a manual though

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
i say go 5.29s. because you still eventually plan on 35s and i've driven a manual on 33's with 5.29 and i liked it. even though it is different, i don't really think that you can go wrong with the 5.29s

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
You can drive mine if you want. 4.88s is the right combo for 33's and V6 auto IMO. My RPM's at 70mph are right about 2500RPMs.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I voted 5.29 only because you are considering 35's in the future. This will also promote early tire replacement :p

Good luck!

EDIT: I think I hit the 4:88 vote button instead... not sure.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'd say if you're worried about gas mileage go buy a honda. Running 35's, you'll never get the gas mileage of a stock truck/4runner(which in my opinion isn't all that great to begin with). My set up has the 3.4L, auto, 5.29's, 37's, and HEAVY H1 beadlocks. I drive a lot (<--that's an understatement) on the interstates and in town(any givin Monday morning or Friday afternoon you can find me passing cars in the middle of ATL), i am extremely happy with the gearing i have. I average 14-15mpg, and i don;t drive anywhere slow. If i was planning on running 35's i'd still go with 5.29's.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
why november?
sorry, one of my bad jokes.

I'd say, if you're going to run 33's, 4.88 would be your choice. However, if you plan to upgrade to 35's, best to just re-gear once with 5.29's.... and put up with being short-geared for the time while you're replenishing your bank account for the new tire purchase.
<sigh> re-gearing would be so much more fun if it wasn't so expensive!!

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
I am loving the 5.29s that we did a couple weeks ago. It seems to be a good match with the 22re/33/auto. From my primitive calculating, I'm averaging about 15-17mpg after adjusting for the speedo being off a little. Thats easily a 3-4mpg gain from the 33/4.30 combo.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
sorry, one of my bad jokes.

I'd say, if you're going to run 33's, 4.88 would be your choice. However, if you plan to upgrade to 35's, best to just re-gear once with 5.29's.... and put up with being short-geared for the time while you're replenishing your bank account for the new tire purchase.
<sigh> re-gearing would be so much more fun if it wasn't so expensive!!
ya and mine would have been done this summer... oh well :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
ECGS does good work and has extremely fast turnaround time. If you can pull your own diffs you can save some money in labor. ECGS will send you a regeared diff and you can swap it out at your leisure, then send the old one back when done, no down time....well, however long it takes you to swap it.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
ECGS does good work and has extremely fast turnaround time. If you can pull your own diffs you can save some money in labor. ECGS will send you a regeared diff and you can swap it out at your leisure, then send the old one back when done, no down time....well, however long it takes you to swap it.
how much do they give for the old diff?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
They don't give you anything....it's a swap deal, he sends you someone else's regeared diff and you send yours back, repeat cycle....if you don't send one back it costs the core charge. I guess that's what you are asking, the core cost? $250 for a 8". http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-157237-toyota-8-v6-3rd.html
Seems to be $400 for the 8" e-locked diff.

From the website:

YOUR CORE.
If you are waiting until you recieve new diff, to send your unit in, please select add core charge from the core charge drop down Tab. Your card will not be charged for the core charge until 3 weeks after your new differential has been shipped, you will then have an additional week to send back your core for a full refund. After 4 weeks the core will be considered purchased by you.

how much do they give for the old diff?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
hunter4runner
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing