TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which ones? I don't understand yet. I have a 2001 V6 Dbl Cab TRD 4X4(Stock auto Trans and rear diff). I tow my jet boat to the river and I also want to go 4 wheeling. I don't want high RPM's on the freeway. I just bought some street tires, 265 75 16 and plan on going to 285's which are 33's. Since i put on the 265 the tread isn't aggressive so highway milage is ok but its sluggish going through town to work, when I go to the 285 they will be an aggressive offroad tire. With the 265 and towing it seems like the truck is sluggish and I'm always dropping into gears.
Any help would be handy.
Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I would go with 4:56 to make it closer to stock..

·
Registered
297 Posts
EVOM1 said:
Which ones? I don't understand yet. I have a 2001 V6 Dbl Cab TRD 4X4(Stock auto Trans and rear diff). I tow my jet boat to the river and I also want to go 4 wheeling. I don't want high RPM's on the freeway. I just bought some street tires, 265 75 16 and plan on going to 285's which are 33's. Since i put on the 265 the tread isn't aggressive so highway milage is ok but its sluggish going through town to work, when I go to the 285 they will be an aggressive offroad tire. With the 265 and towing it seems like the truck is sluggish and I'm always dropping into gears.
Any help would be handy.
Thanks
Ryan
Post your axle code and we can start from there. There should be something lilke B04A on the sticker plate in the drivers side door jam. That will tell us what gears you have now, then what we need to go to.
-Scott

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll go out to the parking lot and look.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bo3a/a34of

·
Registered
297 Posts
From what I can tell, it looks like 8" ring with 4.10 gears 2 pinion open. For what you describe, 4.56 would work out great and give you a little more ummph.
-Scott

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you explain what that means?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, 4.10 is what you have now. Going to a higher gear ratio (ie 4.56) means that it will take more turns of the driveshaft to turn the wheels than if it was a 4.10. What that means is that your rpm's will be higher in every gear at every speed than they were at the lower ratio. If that doenst clear it up, look here.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/other/4_axles.html
-Scott

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I think Igot it. And I will also ckeck the link.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If you dont want high rpm's on the highway go to 4.56 like recomended. I'm at 4.88's w/my 33x12.5's and i sit at 3100 going 70 and 3900 going 80 :eek:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see that high of an RPM unless I' m pushing it, I want to be lower than that

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
KStacoma said:
If you dont want high rpm's on the highway go to 4.56 like recomended. I'm at 4.88's w/my 33x12.5's and i sit at 3100 going 70 and 3900 going 80 :eek:
What motor and tranny do you have? Is that corrected speed?

I'm running a 2.7 and a 5-spd., and at 3000RPM I'm doing an indicated 90MPH, which is about 75MPH actual. At 65MPH actual I'm turning 2800RPM.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
EVOM1 said:
I don't see that high of an RPM unless I' m pushing it, I want to be lower than that
You'll be golden with 4.56s and the 285s.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
AK98Taco said:
What motor and tranny do you have? Is that corrected speed?

I'm running a 2.7 and a 5-spd., and at 3000RPM I'm doing an indicated 90MPH, which is about 75MPH actual. At 65MPH actual I'm turning 2800RPM.

what gears did you have stock? you may be able to correct that speedo/odo with a speedo gear change for about $20.

'00 excab 2.7 5-sp, 33x10.50s/4.88s (had 4.30s stock). speedo is near dead on now with 33tooth gear.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
EVOM1 said:
Any help would be handy.
Thanks
Ryan
All v6 Tacomas have either 3.91 (5-sp non-TRD) or 4.10 (AT and all TRDs) so, you have 4.10s

for 265/75s you really shouldn't notice much difference but as you state...its there ;)
for 285s (33x11.50s) you will really start to notice the power loss especially towing or on hills.

4.30s will bring you back to a near-stock ratio of 4.04:1 but I'd go with 4.56s (What Toyota should have outfitted the v6 AT trucks with, IMO) and with the taller tires your 'adjusted' ratio will be about 4.28:1 or a little lower than the stock 4.10s with 31" tires. this will give you the extra 'oomph' for towing your boat ;) (the higher the ratio # the lower the gearing)

as for RPMs...
currently you should be turning about 2130 at 70 mph. (32" tires, 4.10 gears, your actual diameter may be less so rpms may be higher) A BFG AT, 265/75/16 is actually only 31.7" in diameter brand new and other brands will varry greatly.

with 33s (usually around 32.8" in diameter) and 4.56 gears going the same 70 mph, rpms should be around 2290.

your gas mileage will actually be better with the regear and 33s (especially in town) than sticking with the OE 4.10s and that size tire as the engine doesn't have to work as hard to push the truck. If you cruse at 90 all the time mileage will drop...duh ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awsome thats what I was looking for. Thanks Hytenor and all

·
YOTAPHILIC
201 Posts
hytenor said:
what gears did you have stock? you may be able to correct that speedo/odo with a speedo gear change for about $20.

'00 excab 2.7 5-sp, 33x10.50s/4.88s (had 4.30s stock). speedo is near dead on now with 33tooth gear.

Hey whats this speedo gear change your talking about. The only things I've heard of are devices such as Superlifts speedometer calibrator.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
SKUUT said:
Hey whats this speedo gear change your talking about. The only things I've heard of are devices such as Superlifts speedometer calibrator.
depending on your % of error you can get pretty close by swapping speedo gears when you change tire size and/or gears.

to find out if it will work for you you'll need:

the tooth count on your present gear (you have to pull it to find out, see pics)

how far off your speedo is now; reading faster or slower than actual?

year of truck

not all the gears are a direct swap. Depending on your year and model you may have to carefully switch the plastic gear portion of the part.

http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/misc/speedo drive gear/

1 - 20 of 36 Posts