TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone into geo caching? Looks like it could be fun especially on an organized run. But I know I am not good enough with my GPS to be any good at it.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just imagining how much fun it could be around Black Mountail (harlan) or at another one of my favorite parks back home in texas (Gilmer)

you are right though, if you have a large group you could it like a poker run which it would basically be anyway.

·
Registered
672 Posts
funny you mention black mountain. i've planned a harlan trip for the first weekend in march, although wouldn't be at the park so it's not black mountain but nonetheless i was thinking it would be awesome to do it down there. i know the area kinda well and know the mountains even better and my family is from and lives down there. i was thinking for a summer trip get some money or donations from people and give it to my family in advance and have them go throughout the mountains and place it, logging their location with each "treasure"

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
funny you mention black mountain. i've planned a harlan trip for the first weekend in march, although wouldn't be at the park so it's not black mountain but nonetheless i was thinking it would be awesome to do it down there. i know the area kinda well and know the mountains even better and my family is from and lives down there. i was thinking for a summer trip get some money or donations from people and give it to my family in advance and have them go throughout the mountains and place it, logging their location with each "treasure"
you say not at the park, but you do mean on the mountain correct? It sounds very enticing! Especially the time frame. Definitely something to keep in mind.

As for your "treasure" collecting, I was really surprised so many companies were willing to donate when you use the term raffle prize.. just a thought.

If you want to keep moving forward with the idea, keep me updated and I will do what I can to help.

My two problems immediately seen are time off from work & learning how to use my gps for this type of purpose.:eek: right now my gps unit in the tack makes a pretty good speedometer.lol

·
Registered
672 Posts
i use my samsung galaxy s2 as my gps but i'm sure there is an app where i can input coordinates? we won't be doing geocaching on our march trip but you're more than welcome to join. i don't think it will be anything too intense but will still be fun. i need some yotas to help rep against the jeeps... which are just about all my friends haha.

and not the exact mountain that the park is on, but we will be in that same area

·
Registered
311 Posts
i used to do it when i had time. i spent a couple weeks in california and did it a lot there in the national parks. it kept me entertained while hiking

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
First I've heard of it.

All the more reason to put GPS in the truck. Usually I just head out with a full tank of gas and plenty of daylight...then it doesn't matter if I'm lost are not...remember....every trail eventually "comes out" somewhere!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts