TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The finish on the front of my truck (07 PreRunner TRD Access Cab) is very susceptible to insects and bugs.

It is VERY hard, if not impossible, to remove the remains of bugs from the finish - not only the front bumper, but also the headlights.

I hand-wash and detail my truck usually at least once a week, and I like it to look nice, but this issue "bugs" me. The insect remains on the front of the truck are like glue - I can get most of it off, but a gummy, glue-like substance remains.

It's strange, because vehicles I've had in the past didn't have this problem; the bugs just came off, no problem, with a wash mitt, a bucket of soapy water, and some elbow grease. No such luck with the finish on this pickup.

I blame the matte-like, non-glossy finish. I get LOTS of bugs on my R1 motorcycle in the summer, and they just wipe right off with some soap and water. But the R1 front finish is glossy.

So, what products have y'all used and had success with?

Thanks.....
John

·
Registered
246 Posts
try a little brake clean on a rag to get the bugs off. I use this often for tar and bugs on my vehicles, but make sure you try it in a hidden spot first to make sure it doesnt mess up the finish. A clay bar also works, but it is more expensive than a can of brake clean.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
try a little brake clean on a rag to get the bugs off. I use this often for tar and bugs on my vehicles, but make sure you try it in a hidden spot first to make sure it doesnt mess up the finish. A clay bar also works, but it is more expensive than a can of brake clean.
:eek:

If you wax the front end with a good wax, bugs are really easy to come off. Ifyou don't feel like waxing, go over it with a wash mit with soap, do the rest of the truck, them before spraying the truck off, go over it again...

Of course, you have to do this either early in the morning, or in the evening before the sun goes down ;)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I just use plain old windex. Spray it down, let it soak, spray again and wipe clean.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I tried brake cleaner on my headlights, and didn't do shit!! I didn't really have anything to use so I tried CLR.. and well ITS FUCKING GREAT!! lol use it sometime. and for people who know what CLR = Calcium Lime Rust

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I just can't imagine anyone using brake cleaner or CLR or anything that acidic on their paint.
yea, acetone or naphtha works much better :rolleyes:

clay bar

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
try peanut butter;)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
really? brake cleaner on paint? awesome.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
yea, just spray on, let it penetrate and wipe off with 220g :D

actually if you take a propane tourch to the brake cleaner on the paint it will burn off all of the contaminates too. leaves you with a finish good enough to eat off of

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
actually if you take a propane tourch to the brake cleaner on the paint it will burn off all of the contaminates too. leaves you with a finish good enough to eat off of
ste....ri.....li....ze

·
Registered
707 Posts
As mentioned above a good defense of wax helps alot. I like to use wd40 on anything like tar. For the really stubborn bugs I just use some bug off window fluid and a brush. Or sometimes wd40. Lately it has been rain and cedar trees doing all the scrubbing.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The worst thing I've ever put on my paint was Goo Gone to get tree sap off a few places when I was hitting pine tree branches on the trails.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
aeroclean. you can pick it up at any local airport. its the stuff I use to clean the windscreen on planes. nothing sticks to it. to get bugs off spray and let it penetrate. the white aeroclean will leave a residue that will protect from future bugs too. shits awesome.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts