TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting engine oil in my supercharger. Think it may have killed my supercharger. Truck is an 02 with only 40k miles on it. Has t100 oil pan due to an sas conversion. Oil still looks like it just came out of the bottle and has been in the truck for about 3k miles. Not getting any smoke out of the exhaust but the truck has always had a slight burning oil smell and it definitely has gotten a little worse. Last time I ran it I had noticed a louder than usual valve tick on the drivers side. Checked the pcv valve about a month ago and sounded like it was working. Going to send the charger to pse to see what the damage has been done. Needing to know what to do at this point. Any ideas?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would check the compression and compare the results both wet and dry. Also, check to see how much air is comming out of the PCV by disconnecting it and checking it out while running (maybe at a couple of different RPM's). Also where are you finding the oil? On the S/C inlet or on the exit near the end of the runners; and how much oil is in the nose cone? Also be sure that it's actually engine oil and not some other fluid.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is definitely engine oil. It is golden yellow and has no smell. The supercharger oil will be black and smell like death. There is oil clear into the throttle body. I did a compression test today and it ranged from 145-155 cold. I can't do it warm since my charger is bad. The gauge I had I determined wasn't very accurate as it read 145 also on another newer vehicle I had. I will just replace the pcv. I can't test it until I get the charger back from the $700+ rebuild. I noticed a bunch of crud where the pcv goes into the valve cover. Its nonferrous whatever it is. Chunky and oily. Maybe it was plugging up the pcv? Not sure.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Engine oil can't ruin the supercharger. If anything it helps the rotors seal better. You've got two PCV hoses, one that comes from the PCV valve to the supercharger neck right by the throttle body, the other that connects to the intake tubing between the MAF and the throttle body. Both lines need to be clear and open and all the carbon crunchies cleaned out for the PCV system to work properly.

An oil film in the intake is pretty normal actually, there's nothing to wash it off so a little builds up over time.

I'm hoping you sent the supercharger out for a rebuild because the bearings were shot, not just because it had oil inside it. You can also do the nose-cone bearings yourself if you buy the parts from rollingperformance.com.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help. I sending it in to be rebuilt due to vibration noise coming from the rotors. I do have some gritty oil sludge junk in the valve cover where the pcv plugs in. going to clean that out snag pull the valve covers to check for any other sludge build up. I talked to pse and they said three same thing that the engine oil wouldn't hurt the charger. I rebuilt the nose last year. just had to replace the front seal but did the bearings while I was at it. they will redo again though so everything is brand new. I want aware of the other vent so I will check that out also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have you tried comparing dry compresion versus wet compression? What I was trying to get at earlier was to determine if you were having excessive blow-by caused by either bad rings or a wrist pin comming loose. Blow-by would cause a bunch of oil to wind up in your intake, but it doesn't sound like you are getting alot of oil in there if it just a light film so i wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts